1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard drive suddenly not showing and unassigned

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theymademedoit, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theymademedoit

theymademedoit Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I am at my wits end.
    I stupidly relied on my Western Digital external to back up all my photography, and today its not showing in My Computer.

When I go to 'manage drives' it shows but is unassigned and when I right click there is no option to assign a letter to the drive. I should point out it does show in device manager.

I tried unplugging it, putting it in a different USB port and also tried it on my lap top and its not showing.

After reading a couple of suggestions I tried a programme called Partition Find and Mount, I didnt know what I was doing but it found the drive and asked me to mount it. I changed the drive letter and after a while it showed the contents in Windows Explorer, which leads me to believe that my stuff is recoverable (I pray).

Can anyone tell me how to get my drive to be recognised again?

Please!!
    Thanks,
    Al

2. flyer0101

flyer0101

First Name:
    Dylan
    Have you tried using it in another computer?

3. theymademedoit

theymademedoit Thread Starter

Hi,
    Yes on another laptop.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1009811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice