external hard drive switch between windows 7 and xp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TheseDoMan

Hi!

So here's what happened. I have an external harddrive. When using it on my new laptop I changed the security settings so that all users and groups have full access to it (because I didn't want to provide administrator permission every time I changed something on it). However, now when I hook up my external drive to my old laptop which has windows xp I can no longer navigate through my computer. I can still move the mouse around and maybe open the start menu but I cannot open any programs or navigate through explorer. I should mention that the XP laptop does in fact recognize the hard drive and the remove hardware icon appears in the bottom right corner. This usually requires that I do a hard restart of the computer. There was one time I tried to use it and it did work, seemingly without symptom. But every other time it hangs my computer. I don't know what I did differently that one time.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online