External Hard-drive to Macbook through an External Display

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thereddragondom

Hi,
I would like to know that If i got an external monitor with usb ports on it and then connect my Macbook Pro 2015 to it via an HDMI cable, can i connect an external hard-drive onto the external display to transfer files to my macbook?

Triple6

First Name
Rob
If you connect the USB cable from the Macbook to the monitor then you will be able to use the USB ports in the monitor but HDMI is a video only connection.

thereddragondom

If you connect the USB cable from the Macbook to the monitor then you will be able to use the USB ports in the monitor but HDMI is a video only connection.
Thank you, and what If i used a Display port to mini-display port connection?

Triple6

First Name
Rob
I think you can use the Thunderbolt port but you will need to check the monitor to ensure it does support USB over the same connection. I believe LG makes some that do.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online