1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard-drive to Macbook through an External Display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thereddragondom, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thereddragondom

thereddragondom Thread Starter

Hi,
    I would like to know that If i got an external monitor with usb ports on it and then connect my Macbook Pro 2015 to it via an HDMI cable, can i connect an external hard-drive onto the external display to transfer files to my macbook?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you connect the USB cable from the Macbook to the monitor then you will be able to use the USB ports in the monitor but HDMI is a video only connection.

3. thereddragondom

thereddragondom Thread Starter

Thank you, and what If i used a Display port to mini-display port connection?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I think you can use the Thunderbolt port but you will need to check the monitor to ensure it does support USB over the same connection. I believe LG makes some that do.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1189887

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice