1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive WD 'Passport' not recognizing.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bobcats12, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bobcats12

Bobcats12 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have been using my Wester Digital 1TB 'Passport' for around 1 year now. I have around 700 GB of data on there, and I have recently ran into some problems with it. When I plug it into my Dell computer runnign Windows 7, it makes the beeping sound that it was plugged in correctly. Once you hear the beep, nothing else happens. There is no othe rnotifications that come up, and it does not show up under My Computer. I have tried assigning the drive a new letter in disk Management, and that doesnt seem to do the trick either. There is a light on the passport that usually always blinks while plugged in, now when I plug the drive in the light no longer blinks, and just constantly stays on.

I really appreciate eveyones help on this matter. Thank you for your time.

Thanks,
    Bobcats12

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What does it show as in disk management, does it report the capacity and free space correctly

for example mine
    see screenshot
    so my externals are E and F
    does your show the file system - NTFS on mine

Attached Files:

• dm.jpg
      dm.jpg
      File size:
      130.1 KB
      Views:
  3. Bobcats12

Bobcats12 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response. When in Disk Management nothing from my external hard drive shows up at all.

4. Macboatmaster

Well how then did you do this please
    by that I mean - which drive did you try assigning the new letter to.

Because if you have tried changing other drive letters in the belief that it may then show the external drive, you could have serious problems.

Have you tried other usb ports, does it show if connected to another computer

Is there any new entry in device manager, it may show there as an unknown device, although it does not show in Disk Management

Is it shown in BIOS at all.

If it is not shown in BIOS, try another USB lead, I think the passport is powered USB only.

If all of that is negative -
    1. another usb port
    2. device manager - nothing showing
    3. BIOS - nothing showing
    4. Not showing on another computer
    5. not showing with a different usb lead

then your only option is to remove the drive from the WD passport case enclosure and try another enclosure, they are quite cheap to buy.

Please ensure you purchase the correct enclosure, for the size eg. 2.5, 3.5 and thickness (depth) of the drive

5. Bobcats12

Bobcats12 Thread Starter

I am sorry for the confusion. I have been working on fixing this problem for about 6 months now. About 5 months ago I was able to plug in my passport and have it show up. I instantly followed some advice I had received before and tried to re-name the drive. I have not successfully been able to have the passport be recognized since, or show up in Disk Management. I have tried numerous different computers and USB ports. The last option you mentioned is what I think I may need to do. You mentioned that it is not too expensive, and I was hoping you may be able to shed some light on the topic, or give me some additional information regarding how to go about getting another case enclosure, or what all that entitles.

Thanks again!

6. Macboatmaster

No need to apologise, it just confused me a little.

Is there anything shown in device manager, that is right click computer, on start menu, click properties and then on left click device manager, or go control panel, click system, , then device manager.

Also if, it is not shown there, is it shown in BIOS

7. Bobcats12

Bobcats12 Thread Starter

I have looked into things a lot this evening and am sure there is nothing showing in device manager. I also checked BIOS and had nothing there.

I did grab another lap top tonight and plugged in my passport to its' USB port. Beings tat I have never installed it on the computer the installation did show up. Once it was done another pop up showed up and it said "Initio Default Controller". It still wont show up under my computer, device manager, BIOS, or device manager, but did give me that pop-up notice so hopefully I am getting somewhere.

8. Macboatmaster

1. With the computer powered off disconnect ALL usb devices except the mouse and keyboard if they are USB, eg camera, printer
    2 Plug drive to USB port
    3. Power on the computer
    4. Go to device manager and uninstall "initio default controller", that entry will ONLY be there when you have the drive connected.
    To uninstall, right click that entry and click uninstall
    5. Using safe remove hardware if an unknown device is shown, unplug the passport drive
    6. Reconnect the drive.

IF that does not work, TRY with a different USB lead as I suggested in post 4.

9. Bobcats12

Bobcats12 Thread Starter

I was successfully able to uninstall the "initio defualt controller". I then plugged the passport back in and it re-installed the device, and came back with saying the "initio defualt controller' has been installed. I am not sure what initio defualt controller means or what it does, but I am still unable to see my device under my computer, or locate it anywhere in disk management.

10. Bobcats12

Bobcats12 Thread Starter

Also, I am more than alright with losing all of my information. I would just like to get this 1TB external hard drive working again.

11. Macboatmaster

It means that the computer is seeing only the connection from the usb on the drive to the passport device, but NOT the drive itself

Just to check, again.
    1. all other usb devices disconnected,
    2. If a desktop use REAR usb ports, direct on I/O plate, not front ports. eg the original computer, not the laptop you tried it in.

3. What is the Dell MODEL, that you had the problem with, when it stopped working.

It may indeed be the cable if this does not work try another cable.

See all of this for further info.
    http://wdc.custhelp.com/#s=eyJzZiI6...TEsInNvcnRfZGlyZWN0aW9uIjoxfX19fX19LCJjIjozfQ..

12. Bobcats12

Bobcats12 Thread Starter

The dell model is a latitude D630 laptop. I did try each USB port as well. It very well could be the cable. Any ideas on what to do about the cable?

13. Macboatmaster

There is only one thing to do and that is try another one.

14. Bobcats12

Bobcats12 Thread Starter

Thank you for all of your help on this matter. I really appreciate your time and efforts. I will look into trying another cord, or look into seeing where to get one. Thanks again!

15. Macboatmaster

You are welcome, it may of course not be that, it may be the drive connection inside the enclosure
    Did you have a look at thenlink I sent from WD help, that was on my post 11.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!