1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard drive won't connect to ONE computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hhicks330, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hhicks330

hhicks330 Thread Starter

Alright. So This is kind of a weird circumstance: My brother has a Hitachi Lifestudio 1TB external hard drive. He has been using is for about 2 months now. About two days ago it started acting sort of funny.

When he tries to plug it in, it doesn't even turn on. (The hard drive only starts to spin up when both the USB and power is plugged in.) I was pretty sure either the hard drive or the enclosure had gone bad, and plugged into my computer to see what would happen. And it worked! So my brother plugged it back into his laptop and it was fine.

But now it has happened again. And I only have an Ubuntu laptop with me. (I'm on vacation in NY). It works on my laptop but not his.

I'm wondering if somehow maybe a driver got screwed upon his computer? And if so, would there be a way to uninstall it even when the external hard drive is not connected. That way maybe we can reinstall the driver and see if that will work.

He leaves for Louisiana on Monday,so I need to figure this one out soon.

His laptop is a Windows 7 Dell Inspiron 1545. And the computer's that it has worked on have been a custom Windows 7 machine that I built and an Acer Aspire 5610Z laptop with Ubuntu. (My wife's machine that I changed to linux).

Any ideas would be awesome. If you need any more information, let me know.

Thanks,
    Harley

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice