1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive won't turn off automatically

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boballoo, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boballoo

Boballoo Thread Starter

I have just purchased a Maxtor 200 GB 7200 rpm external hard rive in a "BYTECC" case for my Win 2K machine. I had no real problems putting it together and getting it running but now when I shut down the computer it does not shut down. I have to turn off the switch every time and then turn it on each time I boot up. It also runs constantly. I have another 260 GB external hard drive which shuts down when I shut the computer down and stops running after a few minutes of not being accessed. I never did anything to get it to do this and I thought this was natural. How can I get my new hard drive to do the same as the the old one?

Any advice is appreciated.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That's the way it works normally, I just shut them off. I'm wondering how you got the one to spin down, none of mine do that. :)

3. Boballoo

Boballoo Thread Starter

The one that shuts down automatically has done that from the day I installed it. I didn't do anything. I had another smaller external drive that did the same thing so in my experience this was the normal function. Both of these were last year's Japanese models. The new one I bought just the other day in Canada. Are we that much behind or is there a way to get this hard drive to shut down automatically when I shut down the computer?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If there is a way, I don't know the secret. :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/296969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice