1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robbsdogs, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robbsdogs

robbsdogs Thread Starter

I brought a new acer laptop and a new external hard drive. I transfered some video files from the new laptop to the new hard drive and plugged it into the tv and it doesnt work. They play on the laptop but not the tv.

I tried putting some video files from the new laptop to an old hard drive i was already using, They showed up on the tv but wouldnt load. The files that were already on that hard drive still work fine. and it all works on the laptop. The files that i moved across were the same file type as those that already work on that hard drive/tv combination.

2. tecknurd

tecknurd

I and others can't help you if you can't give us any information. You have to give us everything. Generally, smart TV can only playback a certain container format and what video codec the container format has stored. A container format is AVI, MP4, MPV, MKV, MOV. The video track of these container formats can be MP4, H.264, MPEG-2, VP8, H.265, VP9, just to name a few.

If your smart TV can install a Plex app, you can use Plex on your notebook. Assuming your notebook computer has enough processing power, you can play any container format and any video codec on your TV. Unfortunately, with out the Plex Pass, it will play a minute of the video and advertise that you should sign up for the Plex Pass repeatedly until to the end of the video. This should give you a good test to make sure it works before signing up for the Plex Pass.

3. robbsdogs

robbsdogs Thread Starter

it isnt a smart tv its just a normal tv with usb media. The file format of the files was mkv, and the hard drive already has mkv files which work on the tv. It seems like the files arent working because of the laptop used to move them across???

4. tecknurd

tecknurd

Like I said, I can't help you because you haven't posted the information that I or others need to help you. You are on your own if you can't post the information.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice