1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ballinlea, Oct 26, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Ballinlea

Ballinlea Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this.
    Recently my son was setting up a flash drive for a clean install of Windows on his computer. Some how it went on to an external hard drive which we use for mostly videos and photographs. It created a new partition leaving all the original files in an unallocated section of the drive. I have looked at the drive and can see the unallocated space with all the files still there. How do we bring back the unallocated space? The Windows boot partition is not required. I am writing this on my MacBook and have the drive attached to my Windows Laptop.
    Thanks

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  3. Ballinlea

Ballinlea Thread Starter

Have downloaded TestDisc and started it on Windows Laptop. When it detects the partition it finds
    a "EFI GPT" partition. Should I just let it go ahead with this selection or should I select the Intel option? Really don't want to lose the contents of the drive.
    Thanks.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    As long as you're sure it's the external drive select the Intel option and see what happens, you won't change anything on the drive at this stage, the 'write' command does change things but you won't use that until you see the original partition(s) as shown in the guide.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice