Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

External hard drive

382 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
I want to buy an external hard drive to store my photos on. I was thinking 4 TB Seagate. I want something easy to transfer.

#5 ·
annevix:
What is the total capacity of the photos in your PC that you want to back up in an external storage drive?
4 TB(3724 GB) capacity may be over-kill.
To add to what Shane said, you really should back them up in 2 separate external storage drives.
If you rely on only one and it fails, you can kiss your photos good-bye.
Two external storage drives is what I recommend.
I also recommend Western Digital over Seagate.
They tend to be more reliable and have better performance ratings.

------------------------------------------------

#7 ·
Are you saying you have 200,000 photos in your PC that haven't been backed up yet to ANY reliable external media?
If that's correct, you've been very lucky that the storage drive in your PC hasn't failed.
A few years ago, we heard a horror story from a TSG member who lost 10+ years of family photos and videos (weddings, graduations, vacations, etc.) because he failed to back them up.
The storage drive in his PC failed and he was unable to recover them.

Hopefully, you have your photos organized in sub-folders in the "My Pictures" or "Pictures" folder and don't have them scattered everywhere.
And hopefully, your photos haven't been created and saved in very large file sizes.
The more organized your photos are and the smaller their file sizes are, the easier and quicker it'll be to back them up.

What's the capacity of the storage drive in your PC, and how much free space does it have?

-------------------------------------------------

#9 ·
120 GB I think
That answer isn't good enough, so we need to confirm the status of the storage drive in your PC.

Download and save the tsginfo.exe file.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your PC will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

-------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.