external hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mtf

I need an external hdd specifically for backups. I want the best in the market. 80 GB - USB - With first rate, no hassle, automatic backup software (backup before shut down preferred). Any suggestions? Willing to buy best backup s/ware separately. Thank you for your help!

I have used empty USB cases from Comp USA, around $50, and put any drive that you want into the case. Use NTI Back UP NOW to this external HDD. Make a differential backup every night and complete once a week. Has worked well for couple years no problems. NTI has 30 day full trial available. ntius.com

Good Luck!
GO CARDS!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Here's a pointer to one of the many BYTECC cases at NewEgg that I've used for several years. They start pretty cheap, and will accept any ATAPI IDE drive. You can get USB 2.0/Firewire cases for around $45, which is the ones I recommend.

mtf

Thank you Ranger, Coyote & John!! I didn't know I could buy a case and the drive -- I was thinking about Maxtor or Iomega --. I saw the Bytecc cases but I'm not sure how to proceed. About the ATAPI IDE drive, would that be like an internal hdd that I put inside that case? Again, thank you all for your help and advice.

Inside the case there will be a connector for power and an IDE connector. Normally the HDD is set as master, check with case info. Outside there will be USB connection an AC power supply. Possibly drivers will be needed depending on your OS. Follow instructions with case, sit back and enjoy.

GO CARDS!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It's totally plug-n-play, just stick any ATAPI 3.5" disk in the case, jumpered as master, and you're off to the races. :)

mtf

Thanks for yor help. I'm off to CompUsa! - BTW, I recently lost a hard disk and my backup was not recent so I'm extremely upset. I sent the disk to a data recovery company and they said it's damaged & unrecoverable. Would it be advisable to try another company? Again, thanks for being there!!

mtf

Many thanks to Ranger, Coyote, John, Dave and Dobhar. Have a great day guys!

I feel this Wiston Churchill quote is appropriate:
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online