1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mtf, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mtf

mtf Thread Starter

I need an external hdd specifically for backups. I want the best in the market. 80 GB - USB - With first rate, no hassle, automatic backup software (backup before shut down preferred). Any suggestions? Willing to buy best backup s/ware separately. Thank you for your help!

2. ranger007

ranger007

I have an 80G Western Digital - USB - it has worked fine for me.

3. coyotehills

coyotehills

I have used empty USB cases from Comp USA, around $50, and put any drive that you want into the case. Use NTI Back UP NOW to this external HDD. Make a differential backup every night and complete once a week. Has worked well for couple years no problems. NTI has 30 day full trial available. ntius.com

Good Luck!
    GO CARDS!

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Here's a pointer to one of the many BYTECC cases at NewEgg that I've used for several years. They start pretty cheap, and will accept any ATAPI IDE drive. You can get USB 2.0/Firewire cases for around $45, which is the ones I recommend.

5. mtf

mtf Thread Starter

Thank you Ranger, Coyote & John!! I didn't know I could buy a case and the drive -- I was thinking about Maxtor or Iomega --. I saw the Bytecc cases but I'm not sure how to proceed. About the ATAPI IDE drive, would that be like an internal hdd that I put inside that case? Again, thank you all for your help and advice.

6. coyotehills

coyotehills

Inside the case there will be a connector for power and an IDE connector. Normally the HDD is set as master, check with case info. Outside there will be USB connection an AC power supply. Possibly drivers will be needed depending on your OS. Follow instructions with case, sit back and enjoy.

GO CARDS!

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's totally plug-n-play, just stick any ATAPI 3.5" disk in the case, jumpered as master, and you're off to the races. :)

8. mtf

mtf Thread Starter

Thanks for yor help. I'm off to CompUsa! - BTW, I recently lost a hard disk and my backup was not recent so I'm extremely upset. I sent the disk to a data recovery company and they said it's damaged & unrecoverable. Would it be advisable to try another company? Again, thanks for being there!!

9. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

No. It would be a complete waste of money.

10. dobhar

dobhar

Running a Maxtor 5000LE USB 2.0 80 GB external HDD...Has "one touch Backup". Works quite well as a backup. It has been replaced by the Maxtor OneTouch 80GB USB 2.0 Hard Drive. This drive also can work with the Linksys Network Storage Link => http://www.linksys.com/HDD/

11. mtf

mtf Thread Starter

Many thanks to Ranger, Coyote, John, Dave and Dobhar. Have a great day guys!

I feel this Wiston Churchill quote is appropriate:
    We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice