1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zookre, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zookre

zookre Thread Starter

I am running out of space in my puter and I am thinking of getting an external hard drive. can i use the external drive to run programs or can it only be used for storage? I take alot of digital photos and need room for them, I do back them up on a cd but like to have them available on hard drive also. I only have usb 1.1 and can't put in usb 2.0 because usb on my machine is part of motherboard.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you want to use an external hard drive you really should get USB 2.0. With USB 1.1 it be really slow. As for programs, I wouldn't install programs on an external drive but use it for storing data but you can install programs on it if you wish.

Even with USB 2.0 an external drive will be slower then an internal drive and externals are more expensive as well.

It doesn't matter that you have USB 1.1 ports on the motherboard; you can still add a PCI USB 2.0 card to give you the faster speeds. You onboard USB will still work at USB 1.1.

The difference in speed between USB 1.1 and USB is quite significant: 12Mb/s vs 480Mb/s.

Here's a USB 2.0 card: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=15-124-007&depa=0

3. zookre

zookre Thread Starter

thanks for the reply, I will have to open up my puter and see if I have a open slot to put another card in but I don't think I do.

4. johnni

johnni

I have been using a USB2 40gb ext. hd for a year with USB 1 and I find it works quite fast. Of course I am not trying to fill the whole disk in one go, but it never keeps me waiting, and I am not intending to go to USB2.
    Go for it and if necessary upgrade.

johnni

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

As long as you only copy 10-20 megabytes at a shot to the drive, USB 1.1 will work fine. OTOH, I do backups to my USB/Firewire drives, so I copy gigabytes at a shot. Doing that with USB 1.1 would be very painful! Copying a 5 gigabyte image to a USB 1.1 drive would take an hour and a half, no thanks! :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice