1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bobtrop, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobtrop

bobtrop Thread Starter

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

3. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

I'm not sure about Lacie being that dependable.
    They use cheap generic bridge boards like everyone else, and it depends on the model as to whether you get Maxtor or Western Digital drives inside (I dare say they use Seagates too).

Seagate bought out Maxtor (thanks JohnWill) so you can probably tar them both with the same brush from this point.
    I haven't had particular bad luck with either brand, but bad batches do seem to hit the streets occasionally, it just depends when / where you're buying.

You'll be just as well off buying a decent fan-cooled enclosure and choosing your own drive to put in it.
    Very simple to do..... just a few screws and connectors.

4. bobtrop

bobtrop Thread Starter

Price wise, does this turn out to be about the same price, after buying the enclosure, hard drive and backup software? Do the enclosures come with fans or would I have to purchase this separately? Are there any posts that you could point me to on how exactly to do this? Thanks.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Actually I have noticed that it cam out cheaper to put one together for your self. Maybe only $20 or so dollars sometimes

6. ~Candy~

Even so, as of now, Seagates still have a 5 year warranty, as opposed to the Maxtor label of one year ;)

I'd also buy the case. If you don't REALLY need 400 gigs, and can live with 300, Outpost.com has it for $89.99, you can often pick up a case for $25 to $35.

7. ~Candy~

If you shop right, it can be quite a bit of savings. The Seagate drive comes with back up software.

Here is an example of a case:

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4435966?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

8. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Good point.
    There's a huge price break between 300 and 400GB drives (certainly over here in the UK anyway).
    As far as the enclosures go, obviously there are good and bad ones, cooled and uncooled, and you'll generally pay extra for having FireWire (which is one of my preferences) in addition to USB for example.

Someone like "JohnWill" will be able to give you the best pricing advice, I have no idea about comparative values between the U.S. and U.K. (where I am).

Assembly is incredibly simple, I kid you not.
    If you know how to fit a drive and use a screwdriver it should be a ten minute job.
    Open the enclosure (couple of screws maybe), slide in the drive / connect power and data cables, secure the drive (four screws), close the enclosure.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The problem with UK prices is that I know nothing about them. :D For US prices, I just keep one eye on these sites and wait for a good deal to come by.

Deal News

Tech Bargains

More Stuff 4 Less

10. bobtrop

bobtrop Thread Starter

I think I may just take the route of buying a case and getting a hard drive. Thanks for all the advice.

11. ~Candy~

Keep us posted :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice