1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by martyweed, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. martyweed

martyweed Thread Starter

This is perhaps a two part question. I have a Western Digital 80 Gig hard drive that has 50 Gig of data that I cannot access. I can and do backup files to it without any problem (in the 30 gig available).
    Question 1: Is there anyway that I can reformat this drive to be able to use the full 80 Gig?
    I've already reconciled myself to the loss of the files that are on it.

Question 2: If I can't use the drive as is I have an an 80 Gig internal drive that I would like to put in the WD case. It is a WD drive. I've looked, but I don't see an easy way to open the case. Would you know how to do that and would the drive operate in the external case?

2. Moby

Moby

Why can't you access the files? What happens, what can you see? Is the 50gb a seperate partition to the 30gb or is the entire disc a single partition? If you have a single partition on the disc then right clicking the disc in my computer and choose format. Don't give up on your files yet though. Got any more info on why you can't get at them?

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Data is just that--data, meaning files you have written to the disk. However, judging from the context, I think you meant to imply that there are 50 Gigabytes of unpartitioned space on the drive.

Based on that assumption, yes, there is a way to delete that 30-Gig partition and repartition the drive to its full capacity. Assuming you are running Windows XP:

Go to Start> Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Computer Management> Disk Management. Delete the partition that is on that drive and then create a new one that uses the entire capacity.

4. martyweed

martyweed Thread Starter

The drive was never partitioned. I used it as a backup device but then the drive "failed"
    As it happens my original hard drive also failed. The mechanic said it was the fault of the power supply. Anway, when I connect the drive to my (new) computer I can see that it registers as a 50 gig drive but only 30 gig available. I did try formatting it but it only formatted the 30 gig space. If anyone has any ideas on how to recover the data without spending an arm and a leg, I'm listening.

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I guess it's just not clear to me what has happened with this drive before today and what you want to do with it now.

6. martyweed

martyweed Thread Starter

I don't know what caused the drive to fail originally, but I cannot access the data on it.
    I can, and have used the 30 Gig of available space, so I know the drive does work.
    If I can't recover the 50 Gig of used data my questions are how to regain the full 80 Gig of space and, if I can't, how to open the WD case and put in an internal 80 Gig HD that I have.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice