1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jim624, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jim624

Jim624 Thread Starter

Took a 60 GB HD out of an older HP and am trying to make it work as an external Hard Drive. Windows is recognizing it....I go to my computer and I see "G" drive.....but whenever I try to format it it goes almost through the whole process then a window pops up that says "Windows cannot complete the format". I have tried this format on three different computers.....no luck. The jumper on the back is set on CS....ANY HELP PUUUHHH LLLLLLLEEEAAAASSSEEEE !!!!!

2. idowindows

idowindows

How' bout going to the hard drive manufacturer's website and look for a utility to check the integrity of the drive?

May be on it's last leg...

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    On a lot of External drive enclosures the drive needs to be set as master for it to function properly. Unless the assembly instructions say differently I would give a try with the drive jumpered as master.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

For the best test, connect the drive as a secondary drive to your desktop system and run the manufacturer's diagnostic on it. USB connections limit the ability of the tests to do a complete test.

5. Jim624

Jim624 Thread Starter

I went to the manu. site.....downloaded the software and it still will not format..... I have also put the jumper on every possible jump.....still no format......

6. JohnWill

Did you try it as a secondary drive connected directly to an IDE channel?

7. Jim624

Jim624 Thread Starter

Never done that and not sure how to

8. JohnWill

Take the hard disk out of the USB enclosure.

Remove all the devices on the secondary IDE channel, normally CD/DVD drives.

Connect the hard disk to the end of the cable and connect a power connector.

You don't have to install it, just find a cardboard box to set it on so the cables reach, and don't kick over the box. :D

Boot up the system, and you'll have access to the drive if it's alive. You can also run any diagnostics on it with it connected in this manner.

9. Jim624

Jim624 Thread Starter

Bought another external case.....connected it all up and it formatted just fine.......should of paid heed to my deer departed dad's words of wisdom....when working on ANYTHING electrical in nature always check the easiest, simplest fix first. Thanks for all your replies !!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536186

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice