1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rsimoneau, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rsimoneau

rsimoneau Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ralph (UncleMarine)
    I am using "Kodak Easy Share (6.4.0.100) software to edit digital photos, this is on the C hard-drive. I store the photos on the external F drive then I move the photos to the C drive to edit same, after editing I move them back to the external F drive. When I delete them from the C drive they also delete on their own on the external F drive.
    2. Questions: Why??
    Can I pull the plug on the external F drive ?? Then delete photos from the C drive to prevent them from being deleted from the F drive, then replug the external F drive and hope things work out. Does this make any sense??
    Ralph

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

How are you deleting them? Unless they are shortcuts and not the original files, there should be no connection between them unless they are linked by the Kodak software.

3. rsimoneau

rsimoneau Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ralph (UncleMarine)
    I am clicking on the photos in the Kodak software that I want to delete (example 100_1236) then I click the delete button and it's gone. I have the file with the photos in the F drive open, and as soon as I delete the file (photos) in the C drive (Kodak software) I can see the files (photos) in the F drive "Reunion '08" also disappear.
    How about my question about pulling the plug on the F drive when deleting files on the C drive that are also in the F drive.
    To explain: I down-load the photos from my camera to the Kodak software on the C drive, I then drag them to a folder "Reunion '08" in this case, on the F external drive, so now they are on both the C drive and the F drive Later I edit them on the C drive and drag the the ones that were edited to the F drive, and delete them from the C drive. as I said they also are deleted from the F drive.
    I hope this makes things a little more clear about what is happening.
    Ralph

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Where does the Kodak software store the images? Are you sure that in the preferences for the program, you have not designated the folder on F: as the default location? That may be the only place they are located and the Kodak software is reading the files from there. Can you find copies of the files also on the C: drive?

It's also possible that the F: folder is a backup. If you disconnect the F: drive and Kodak can't find the pictures, that will mean that those are the only copies you have.

5. rsimoneau

rsimoneau Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ralph (UncleMarine)
    Thanks !!
    I think you put me on the right track. Here's what I think; First as I said I download the photos to the Kodak software on the C: drive they then carry a C\: file name, after the photos are all on the C: drive I drag them to the F; external drive they now have a F\: file name. Next I delete them from the Kodak software on the C\ drive. They are still in the F drive, no problem. Later I drag them back to the C drive for editing, now this is where your help kicked in, when they are now in the C drive they still have a F\: file name, so when I drag them back to the F drive and delete them from the C drive they are also deleted from the F drive because they have a F\: file name. Is this the reason they are gone from each drive? Can I do what I want some other way, to have them stay in the F drive, when I'm done with the editing in the C drive?
    Thanks again
    Ralph

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

If they have an F: file name, then they are on the F: drive. They can't have that name and be on C:. Are you sure that you are not confusing the moving of files into program memory with moving to a different drive? For example, if you drag a file from your F: drive into a window in the software and it is then available for editing, you have not moved the file at all--you have just copied its data to the program's memory.

7. rsimoneau

rsimoneau Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ralph (UncleMarine)
    Thanks again:
    I guess I am confused, I thought when I dragged the files from a folder on the F\: (external drive) to a program (Kodak Easy Share) on the C\: drive and did the edit, the file (photo) was now on both the F\: and C\: drive. So it is all clear now the file is still on the F\: but a copy of same is in memory while I edit same in Kodak Easy Share software on the C\; drive.
    Now given how I load photos from the camera to software on the C\: drive and drag them to fhe F\: drive etc. How can I stop the delete that takes place when I delete them from the C\: drive. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
    Thanks again you have made the whole thing clear to me now. You have to forgive an old man (83 Yrs. old) for his lack of know how. I can do several things on my computer, but this technical mombo jumbo is way over my head. Thanks to guys like you and others, I'm catching on little by little.
    Ralph
    PS. I'm not on the net every day so, some times there is a few days before I answer.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Instead of dragging them and dropping, try right click copy, right click paste so you only paste a copy on C drive.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's easy to find all of this confusing. Things are often not where they appear to be. (My mother still wonders where the little men "go" after you shoot them in a game. After all, they have to go somewhere, don't they?)

It's possible, though I don't know how you have things set up, that when you load pictures from your camera to Kodak, that the files you see are actually stored on the F: drive. So the pictures you are looking at are actually the same ones as you see stored.

Try doing this the opposite way, for example. Delete a file in your folder on F:. Does it also disappear from the other location? You may have only one location that just appears in use to be two.

To know for sure. we'd need more details. For example, in the settings for Kodak, what folders are set for albums or default storage locations? Can you see the actual files on C: or just the pictures through a program? If the files are really on C:, where are they?

10. rsimoneau

rsimoneau Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ralph (UncleMarine)
    Again thanks!
    You have asked some interesting questions that will set me on a search. I did delete one of the photos from the F\: (extrenal drive) it had this file name F\:reunion'08. I had the F\: drive folder, reunion' 08, open and the Kodak software on the C\: drive open also so I could observe on both drives what happens when I delete the file. When I hit the delete the file on the F drive was deleted, the file on the Kodak software had a jagged line thru it. When clicking on that photo a box came up that said the file was gone.
    Right clicking on a photo in the kodak software tells me that the file location is F\:reunion'08 & cannot locate. So you hit the nail n the head, when dragging the photos from the F\: drive they remain F\: files and are just in memory when in the Kodak software on the C\: drive.
    When first these files (photos) are downloaded from the camera they are difinitely on the C\: drive and carry a C\: file name, but when thay are dragged to the F\: drive they become a F\: drive file, After deleting them from the C\: drive they remain on the F\; drive and carry an F\: drive location and file name. When they are returned to the C\: drive Kodak software they remain F\: drive files.
    It will take me some time to figure out the answers to your other questions. I am not on the Net every day so if you don't hear from me, fear not, I will get back to you.
    Thanks also to Rich-M, I am going to do as you sugest when I move files around.
    Ralph

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

No need to answer my questions if you feel you have an understanding of what is happening now. Just don't spend too much time trying to figure out where something is actually "located" on a computer. They are just a string of numbers, anyway, and not objects, so they follow some different rules. :D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice