External Hard Drives / Laptops

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cozy

I am going to be buying a extrenal hard drive soon, but I do have a few questions about it. I play alot of PC games, my questions is can I install all my games on the external hard drive or do they have to be installed on the internal drive where the operating system is installed. Also gonna be getting a laptop soon I want to be able to have the desktop and laptop to be able to share the same internet connection how do i go about doing that. Also I want the laptop be to use the same printer as my destop computer. How to i go about doing this. Do I have to buy a router to do this.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
If you install games on the external it will slow down load times and save times. USB is much slower then an internal SATA connection for hard drives.

You will need to get a router to share the internet and printer. Once you set up the router it creates a network that you can setup file and printer sharing. The router will also share the internet connection.

Regarding sharing a printer over a network. If the desktop you plan to get has a 64 bit OS and your laptop OS is 32 bit (a common situation), you may run into problems getting a driver to allow you to access the printer. Ran into that with my daughter's HP Win7 64 bit laptop and here Dell AIO printer. Worth looking into before you leap.

Raybro

What do mean by, SLOW DOWN LOAD TIMES
Data transfer via USB is much slower than data transfer from an internal drive. This would severely limit usability of a game installed on an external drive.

Raybro

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online