1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hard Drives / Laptops

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cozy, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cozy

Cozy Thread Starter

I am going to be buying a extrenal hard drive soon, but I do have a few questions about it. I play alot of PC games, my questions is can I install all my games on the external hard drive or do they have to be installed on the internal drive where the operating system is installed. Also gonna be getting a laptop soon I want to be able to have the desktop and laptop to be able to share the same internet connection how do i go about doing that. Also I want the laptop be to use the same printer as my destop computer. How to i go about doing this. Do I have to buy a router to do this.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you install games on the external it will slow down load times and save times. USB is much slower then an internal SATA connection for hard drives.

You will need to get a router to share the internet and printer. Once you set up the router it creates a network that you can setup file and printer sharing. The router will also share the internet connection.

3. raybro

raybro

Regarding sharing a printer over a network. If the desktop you plan to get has a 64 bit OS and your laptop OS is 32 bit (a common situation), you may run into problems getting a driver to allow you to access the printer. Ran into that with my daughter's HP Win7 64 bit laptop and here Dell AIO printer. Worth looking into before you leap.

Raybro

4. Cozy

Cozy Thread Starter

What do mean by, SLOW DOWN LOAD TIMES

5. raybro

raybro

Data transfer via USB is much slower than data transfer from an internal drive. This would severely limit usability of a game installed on an external drive.

Raybro

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice