external hard drives

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

waterborne

if i want multiple external hard drives connected to a computer through one usb or firewire port what would be the easiest method of connecting all of them? sorry if the question is not clear

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Just to be sure, you meant this post under mac?

I would think with USB drives, a hub would be the easiest.

AcaCandy said:
Just to be sure, you meant this post under mac?

I would think with USB drives, a hub would be the easiest.
Either a hub (for USB) or daisy-chaining them (FireWire). That goes for either platform.

I strongly recommend you go for Firewire and daisychain the drives. Firewire has an advantage over USB in that it is not processor dependent, in other words it is a more reliable form of data transfer and because of this reliability is why it is the primary method used for video recording.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
"chaining"
The first drive connects to the computer,
the second drive connects to the first drive .... etc ...

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You can also do this with some USB externals - but they have to have the extra USB connector.

I just use USB externals and hook them to an extra USB / PCI card when I run out of USB ports. An external hub will also work.

I think this is the "easiest" since the USB externals are more common or cheaper.

waterborne

so when i do this will the drives pop up as one drive (if i daisy chain them) and to get to the next drive i have to go through the first one or would they all pop up as seperate drives

What is daisy chain? how does it work?

I currently have 1 combo enclosure (2 FW & 1 USB ports) that I use for my LG DVD Writer, I recently bought an 3.5" HDD (160GB), so now thinking to get another external enclosure for this new HDD. Since there're 2 FW ports on my combo enclosure, can I use one of them as a connection point instead of a FW hub? My TiBook has only 1 FW port.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online