external harddisk not accessible

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mrazino

my WD harddisk became inaccessible after I got a game copied into it

when I connected it to my laptop, there's no autoplay and when I tried to open it via my computer, it says;
G:\ is not accessible

error performing inpage operation

I can't open it, and I can't scan it also
it is new so I don't think it's because of the age
using XP here
I have no idea what's going on
anyone?

External drives are generally less reliable than internal ones. This is because of the connection interface inside the enclosure, rarely is it actually the drive itself. That's why the problem plagues external drives (all makes, not just WD) as compared to internal ones. Some say it's because the small enclosure (compared to a PC) restricts heat dissipation, especially in external drives without a cooling fan (and most don't have one).

Since it's new I would return it, either to the shop or to WD (you'll need to contact WD and ask for authorisation (an RMA) before returning it for replacement.

See if you can access this drive in Disk management.
The "inpage" error sounds like it might be a software problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online