1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

external harddrive dead or is there hope

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by doc776, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doc776

doc776 Thread Starter

hi, i recently started having problems with my external harddrive its WD 500gb

at first some times is asked me to format it. i only turned it off and on and it was back to normal. then after that last power outage it kept asking me to to format it and then its not detected at all.

bias doesnt see it at all (once it actualy saw it). when i plug in via usb my win7 just makes that enoying beep sound over and over. device manager is refreshed but nothing new is there. esata port stops the comp from starting at all. also if i try going to bias when its pluged in it hangs when starts to scan what is plugged in in my sata ports.

thought it spins and everything properly.

any one got ever had this sort of problem before?

2. Megabite

Megabite

How old is the drive in question?

Have you tried it on another PC?

3. doc776

doc776 Thread Starter

oh yes i tried pluging it in directly via sata and esata from the external box and via usb from external box thing on my other win xp comp.
    same deal.

teh harddrive is about 2 years old i think

also out fo all 3 it heated up teh most but not extreamly

4. Megabite

Megabite

The HD could be faulty.....if you don't have important data on you could try formatting it.......

5. doc776

doc776 Thread Starter

welol thats the thing i got all my photos (family friends general graphics from web) on it some of my favotire usefull software, all my music i ever had about 16gb of it, lots of vidios, and a laod of documents from academic days that i still refer back too and other documents.

/tear

6. Megabite

Megabite

Always a good idea to backup your backups.....you can try some recovery programs

7. doc776

doc776 Thread Starter

back up my back ups is a bit too much imo for my salery

oh any recovery program i try is a fail because they cant see the hd in teh first place, damn i shoudl send it to some fbi lab or something ask em to retreave everything lmao

8. Megabite

Megabite

Having a Recovery Company might be the answer but be aware they are not cheap

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/854447

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice