External Harddrive Problems

VinceNL

Hello,
I've had problems with my laptop that i was unable to fix. (Stayed in some sort of restart loop). To save the data i had on it, i took out the harddrive and connected it with an USB device to my desktop computer. Now here comes the problem, i can't open my User (Vince) folder which contains all the data i want to recover.

External Harddrive.jpg
User map.jpg
Vince map.jpg
Unlike a normal empty folder i can't even open this one. And i know the files are still there because when i right click the folder it gives me to option to scan it with my anti-virus software. When it does so i can see the files being scanned.
I tried googling the problem but i've been unable to make any progress. I tried to make some changes in the properties to the security settings but that hasn't really worked. (Probably did it wrong).

Properties of the harddrive i changed: Took all the Users on this computer and gave them full access. (Did give me a brief F:/Boot error of some sort).

Harddrive properties.jpg
Advanced.jpg
My computer works on Windows 10 whilst my Harddrive came from a Windows (8/8.1) Laptop.

Any help you can give me is appriciated. Thanks in advance.

Oddba11

Jim
I can't read those images (sorry, English only for me).

Having said that, files located in a user directory are protected. You may be able to "take ownership" of the folder(s) or access using your login info (from the old computer). I don't recall specifics, nor how to do this in Win10.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online