1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pilotrmh, Jul 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pilotrmh

pilotrmh Thread Starter

I have a 4 year old laptop, IBM Thinkpad i1412 with Windows
    98. It's run through scan disk on start up with over 400 bad
    clusters and will no longer start up Windows even with the
    recovery cd that came with it. I'm wondering if I can install
    an external harddrive using the pc card slot, (I noticed there's
    at least a couple of these available for sale), and can I just
    use my recovery cd in the original laptop's cd rom to install
    all the original software onto the new external harddrive?
    Will it make any difference if the new external harddrive is
    bigger than the original? Is there anything else I should know
    about this?

2. active95

active95

First thing that you will notice is the performance.. It will run, but at much slower pace then it does now since the transfer of the data is made from the pcmcia card not the IDE channel.
    Second , it very possible that you'll not be able to boot straight from the ext. drive, since , well it's external and the notebook expects to boot from either A, C or cd-rom drive.
    Third. To avoid that , might wanna check out ibm site for a possible bios upgrade which would let you boot from an ext device.
    Forth. Yes it could make a difference if the new hdd is bigger , since the notebook might have a problem with the size.
    Fifth. To be honest , i think you will be better of buying a new internal IDE

HTH

3. MCP

MCP

Yeah, if you're planning to go to all the expense and trouble of setting up an external h/d as your primary, you might as well just replace your internal h/d.

4. pilotrmh

pilotrmh Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Another question, I've been searching
    the IBM site for part number/price info for a replacement
    internal harddrive, with no luck. Also tried searching
    sites that sell internal drives specifically for an i1412,
    also with no luck.
    Do I need to remove the old one to find the part number
    so I know what I'm shopping for?

5. active95

active95

On IBM site, under tech support , if you input the serial of the notebook, should be able to find the size/model of the hdd. With that info in hand, shop around to sites like www.pricewatch.com or local pc store for the best deal.
    HTH

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I second active95's advice. IBM will probably want quite a price for the exact replacement drive when, actually, there are probably a slew of across-the-board replacements out there at much lower rates.

Laptop hard disks are very much like desk-top hard disks, in that they are interchangable with any disk the BIOS will see. If you are curious what the limitation of the BIOS is, call IBM and tell them you are interested in purchasing a larger disk for your laptop and ask them what the largest disk is that they can sell you for it.

Armed with that information, you can then purchase any disk up to that size.

Word of caution: Stay away from cheapo drives. Stick with Western Digital, Seagate, Quantum, Maxtor and IBM and you'll be safe. Also, compare spin rates (higher is better) and on-board cache/buffer (more is better).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/147883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice