Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

External Harddrive

814 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Noyb 
#1 ·
I have a new Mextor external drive. I installed it on my laptop and my desktop. When installed, XP isaw the drive on both machines, it showed it as Drive "F". I transfered data back and forth to and from the drive, it worked flawless.

After I shut down both machines and came back the next day tp perform a backup, I plugged the USB in, windows recognized it, but when I went to my computer you could not find the drive, this happened on both machines. I rebooted and the same thing happened.

Please help.......

#5 ·
BTW … Welcome to the Forum.
I’m assuming that you “Installed” the one touch software that came with the Maxtor External.

I did this once, a while ago, on another model - and will not do it again … nuff said.
Now, I just use Windows to talk to my Externals.

You listed your experience as Beginner and I’m thinking you may want someone to Talk you thru some procedures … possibly specific to their software.

As I remember … Maxtor has a good 1 - 800 - “Help Me” phone number listed in the back of their manual.

Hopefully, you did the “Safely Remove Hardware” procedure before unplugging (or turning off) the External ... while the computer(s) were still running.

Since you have the same problem in both computers .... I think you know what I'm thinking.

Sorry I can’t be more help … But at least I'm bumping you to the top of the stack again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.