1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hardrive doesn't show up on Mac or in Disk utility

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LMT397, Apr 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LMT397

LMT397 Thread Starter

My lacie hard drive was making some strange clicking noises when I put it in my mac. I have also tried this in a PC. It now is just not showing up in the devices and also when I try to access it in Disk Utility. It did show up once in Disk Utility but it did not allow me to press first aid. Now it is not showing up at all. I have tried different cables to connect it to the port too. It now is not making noise, it is silent with the orange light flashing but nothing happening.

Please help!

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If it's not being recognized in two different computers, the drive has failed.

Assuming it's no longer under warranty, the drive may actually still be operational. The most common failure with external drives is the controller board inside the enclosure. You can often simply remove the drive from the enclosure and install it into the computer, use an external adapter, or put it into another enclosure, and still have full use of the drive.

However, you did note that it was making noise, so this could be an actual HDD failure. Still, the only way to know is to test the drive. Test tools don't always work/work well with external drives. Someone else here may have another idea or know how to test the drive without removing it from the case.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!