1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hardrive without cords

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by MissFiona10, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MissFiona10

MissFiona10 Thread Starter

Hi there,
    I think I'm a bit rough on my hard drives as the usb port tends to break on my external harddrives (3 in 6 months :eek:) . I was wondering if there are harddrives that don't require usb t:confused plug into the computer to work?

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    What brand Externals are you getting ... Are they all the same kind ??

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It IS possible to get wireless hard drives, but they are slow compared to even USB drives.

How about a network attached drive?? which, again, will be slow

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A quality NAS won't be too slow and if it doesn't have to get moved out of the building is the way to go. If the computer is hard wired into the router and so is the NAS and if the router is gigabit then speeds could actually be about the same as a local USB drive.

But I have dozens of clients using multiple USB hard drives each for backups that get rotated daily and rarely do they have issues with the USB ports breaking.

If you are rough with your hard drive as you claim to be then it will break, it's as simple as that.

Here's a wireless drive: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1330#Tab3
    You still have a USB port on it for charging so maybe there is another model that uses a different type of plug for power, the Seagate drives also use USB for power.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Since the weak point for you is the USB connector on the external drive, don't remove the cord from the drive. (Those micro USB ports are tiny). Just plug and unplug on the computer side.

I have no problem with the four portable WD external hard drives I use but there are a few USB sticks that I worry about the connector so I have a 6" cable permanently attached to the ones I use daily.
    Like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812793466

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice