1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External HD as File Server failing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by matt_12511, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matt_12511

matt_12511 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a Seagate 400GB External Harddrive connected to my server via USB. I have a folder on it that I have set to "Share". At seemingly random times it just stops and a message appears on the server saying the HD was removed without being stopped. So I remove the share feature of the folder and add it again. Then it works again.

I am wondering if it is too many people connected on a device using a USB. Or if there is some reason why you should not use an external HD as a share folder?

The power is plugged into the battery backup so it is not a brownout/powerout.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've seen other people posting about difficulties in using a USB external drive with sharing. I've done it without issue, but yours doesn't seem to be an isolated case.

I don't know from what you've said what the problem could be.

3. matt_12511

matt_12511 Thread Starter

Well it is nice to know I'm not the only one who does this.

In your case did you have more than 3-4 people on the USB External HD/File Server at the same time? I'm thinking that it is possilbe there is a load limit.

The strangest part is that it doesn't happen for days but when it does it happens every couple of minutes for an hour+.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I doubt more than one person used it at the same time, since I'm normally the user. When we have a project going, there sometimes are a number of people using computers here, but they're not likely to be accessing shared data.

I think I'd go for an internal disk, it's much faster than the USB drive anyway. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice