External HD Data Tranfer XP-Windows 7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dino7

Dear Friends:

I have an 80GB external HD that I used to back up files pictures , etc...Not the OS. This was from an Windows XP computer.

I have a newer computer with Windows 7. And I need to tranfer that HD/XP info to the newer Windows 7. Using what appears to be Windows Easy Transfer???

There is something I'm missing about doing this process...Or the "best way" to do it.

Any clarity you could bring to the Steps "required/essential" to be doing or looking for while trying to complete this would be much appreciated.

I would appreciate clear and concise even screenshots if needed to get this done correctly and as simply as possible.

Sincerely, Me
aka ~Temporarily lost in the wilderness~

The external HD is usb? If so just plug it in, Win 7 should recognize it as another drive (listing it under Computer in the Start Menu), then just move files wherever you want them.

I have the same setup as yours, XP to Win 7. I transfer files back and forth regularly.

dino7

Hey Thanks,

Still confused though...In XP there was the FAST/Files and Setting's Transfer Wizard which is what I used to get the information from XP onto and 80GB external HD. Which I've only used a few GB's to extract those files,pictures,music and I assume setting's?!?
Windows 7 doesn't have the Files and Setting's Transfer Wizard.
When I plug the External HD in you can see Drive F: (see attachment) which is where all the above mentioned DATA is waiting to be transfered into the new Windows 7 computer.
I'm not sure how to do this? And also can I be selective about the files, music, pictures and where I send them at this point or does it all end up in My Documents?
The "terminology" is where I get confused as to what goes where and how...
I know I'm making this more difficult than it really is...But I need very clear and simple "terminology"
I'd even welcome a brief phone call so that I could put and end to this. This began in mid-March when I got an "immenant HD failure warning." Phew!
Let me know how you'd be willing or able to proceed.
Very Truly Your's, Raphael

Attachments

Snagglegaster

Banned
Like rameam I don't understand your interest in making this complicated, but to do so try the Windows 7 "Easy Transfer."
Wouldn't a simple Copy and Paste operation be sufficient? Even for bookmarks, etc? One of the best things about a having a new computer is that you don't have to carry over all the dregs and useless crap you accumulated on your old machine.

TerryNet

Terry
Certainly no argument from me, Snagglegaster. :) I said, similarly, in another recent thread that I prefer to copy files and configure a new system manually. But dino7 seems determined to do otherwise; and I'm just pointing out that Microsoft has a new and supposedly improved "wizard."

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online