1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External HD issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sektor, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sektor

sektor Thread Starter

Hi TGF,

I'm happy I found this forum.

I have an issue with my HD. It was in my old computer which had ransomware on it. I tried to repair it but failed so I just removed the hard drive and got a caddy for it.

The first time I connected it an icon came up but said either "error" or "cannot read". I did this about a week or so ago so can't remember the exact message. I thought I'll just get it done now and nothing happens.

My PC comes up with a message to acknowledge the HD being connected but no icon has come up. I even moved the USB to different ports as some experienced a power surge. It seems like the caddy is too strong for all USB ports.

What can I do? I am currently using an old Dell system form 2005 which is seeing it's end. I am getting a new PC very soon and wondered if I should just wait until I get the new PC to try the caddy again.

I really hope I can get the HD open as I have a lot of files I really need on there.

:eek: Such a long post.. haha

Thanks for any help

2. dai

dai

does the caddy have it's own power supply

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

If it is an IDE disk, it may need the master/slave jumper changing.

4. sektor

sektor Thread Starter

It does. I had it plugged in.

How can I find if it is that? Not the best with more advanced PC stuff.

5. DaveBurnett

6. sektor

sektor Thread Starter

^Google romania?

7. dai

dai

sorry don't understand your last post

8. sektor

sektor Thread Starter

Hey Dai,

The link that Dave sent me re-directed to Google Romania on my PC.

I have checked the image now and I'm sure it's an IDE.

I will check when I get home to confirm.

9. saikee

saikee

If a pc acknowledges a HD connected then at the hardware level the connection is deemed satisfactory. There is no need to bottom out if it is an IDE or not and then whether the jumper set to Master, slave or cable select. In my experience if the hardware connection isn't right the BIos will not know a HD has been connected.

What is at stake here is the data inside an old HD. All HD should be viewed as a consumable as everyone has a limited number of spinning cyles. A 2005 PC is 8 years old today and the bearing of this HD should have worn to the point making reading and writing no long 100% reliable. If an operating system cannot read the data reliably it will hang (if a system file cannot be extracted) or refuse to mount it (after repeated failures). In such a case the more number of times connecting this HD, thereby making it spin more cycles, while not able to read it will just do more damage.

To salvage the data this HD should be cloned using a sector-by-sector copying software that does not need access to the filing system inside. When the data is transferred to a sound HD then the data could be extracted.

When a HD starts to die there are 3 stages

(1) Reading and writing of the disk no longer reliable and the process takes much longer as the OS will repeat the process a number of times.

(2) The HD is acknowledged by the Bios but may be unable to get mounted. This may be overcome by running another operating system, like a Linux, to get a second opinion.

(3) The HD is in a bad state that cannot be recognised by the Bios and no acknowledge if it is connected. In such a state the disk is no longer salvageable by the normal means.

Every HD, which is just a electro-mechanical device, must die one day. That is not an issue. The issue is to have a back up before its death.

10. dai

dai

the link goes to google uk for me

check it again and see where it goes,you may be infected if you are not located in Romania

11. DaveBurnett

The only way that should happen is if your PC's home country is Romania, and even then I think it should have gone directly to the link.
    Anyway, try jumpering the disk as slave and see if it is recognised.
    Ignore Saikee's post for now.
    Post the service tag of the Dell (it is on the bottom). My Dell that I'm using now is older than that and I use it all the time. If you really need the date off that disk, you can always use it in the machine it came from and run a Linux rescue CD an copy the data to a flash drive.

12. sektor

sektor Thread Starter

Thanks for the info

Yeah I have some re-direct virus. I couldn't find a solution so I just left it.

I saw the image now anyway as I checked from work.

Hi there,

I forgot to mention in my first post that the PC I took the HD out of is a Compaq presario. Will this make any difference?

13. DaveBurnett

I assumed that you were trying to read it from the Dell and were having trouble that is why I said that.

The Live Linux hint should work with just about any machine that can boot from CD/Usb so a Compaq should work.

14. sektor

sektor Thread Starter

I'm using the HD from the compaq on my Dell.

And I'll check that when I get home.

Thanks for your time and especially your patience.

15. sektor

sektor Thread Starter

I've been too busy with college to check this stuff out. I checked the hard drive today and it's actually a Serial ATA hard drive.

When I closed it up again I noticed the USB wouldn't go in all the way but the pc still acknowledged the USB was connected.

I am waiting for my new PC to arrive and once I install the OS and all I will check the hard drive on that PC and update my stuff here.

Thanks for all the help so far.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice