External HD no longer available, cannot assign drive letter

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

richloomis

Problem: previously working external HD no longer accessible. Shows as not initialized and no drive letter in Disk Management. Right clicking on drive within Disk Management does NOT bring up an option for assigning a drive letter. Instead a small box shows only four items available: Initialize Disk (grayed out), Offline, Properties, Help. Right clicking on the black single partition area brings up seven options (the first five are grayed out): New Simple Volume, New Spanned Volume, New Striped Volume, New Mirrored Volume, New Raid-5 Volume, Properties, Help.

Using CMD with administrator privileges so as to use the diskpart process does not work. Neither "list disk" nor "list volume" shows the plugged-in disk, only shows the SSD integral boot disk. Third party software does show the drive, but apparently offers only a VERY long "repair" process which I'm not quite ready to perform plus I'd need to purchase another high capacity HD to transfer the data onto etc.

Can anyone help? Thanks

upload_2018-4-29_11-29-6.jpeg

upload_2018-4-29_11-29-40.jpeg

Operating System Name: Windows Vista

Licensed To User: rich

Operating System Platform: NT/2000/XP/Vista

Operating System Major Version: 6

Operating System Minor Version: 1

Operating System Build Number: 7601

Service Pack Description: Service Pack 1

Service Pack Major Version: 0

Service Pack Minor Version: 0

Product Edition: Windows 7 Professional

Windows Directory: C:\Windows

Windows System Directory: C:\Windows\system32

Shared Windows Directory: C:\Windows

First Name
Liz
Brand and model of external hard drive. About how old is the unit?

This has me confused:
Operating System Platform: NT/2000/XP/Vista
Product Edition: Windows 7 Professional

richloomis

The hard drive is about two years old. The laptop probably had Vista when I bought it second hand, I installed a Windows 7 OS afterward. It worked (and still works) ok with other external drives . . just this one has recently become buggy. I had assigned a drive letter like L or W (I forget exactly) and for some reason I suspect that (now corrupted?) procedure to be part of the problem, but who knows . .

First Name
Liz
You failed to answer this
Brand and model of external hard drive.

I can't troubleshoot until I know what hardware you are trying to fix.

crjdriver

Attempt to install the drive as an internal drive. If it works, great. If not, then you are going to need to replace the drive. The blue series are the low end from WD which is why the blue drives only have a 2yr warranty vs the black series with a 5yr warranty.
FWIW I have never had a black or raptor drive fail; I have had other WD drives fail.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online