External HD not working.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dijital jedi

Alright here's the down and dirty:

The other day I reformatted my PC and reinstalled Windows XP. Before that the External HD was working fine. Now that I reinstalled Windows, I cannot access it at all. The only way it shows that it's even hooked up is in Device Manager (no yellow exclamation point), and is disk management. In disk management, the only thing I can do is set a new volume, and then it asks me to format the drive which I don't want to do. It also says it's unallocated and that it's dynamic, but it's online.

I ended up taking the HD out of the external case and installing it directly to my PC but with no avail. But what I noticed next was that my main HD is set as IDE 3rd Master on Sata 1, and the HD from the external is set to IDE 4th Master on Sata 2. I don't know if that matters, but just thought I'd mention. If anyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Also, I have drivers for all hardware including for the motherboard and hard drive.

When you reinstalled Windows, did you also install the motherboard drivers?

dijital jedi

Doesn't show up at all, only in disk management. Right now I am running Easy Recovery Professional to see if I can get some files back, but it's showing that I have like 42,000 files on it when I am pretty sure I didn't. The HD is a 320 GB and it's showing 289 free (about what it was last time I used it). I am using the RAW settings because it's the only setting that recognizes the drive has files on it (not sure what RAW is or how it got to that). I honestly have no idea what I did.

dijital jedi

I am running it at the moment, but it basically told me what I already knew. I have 280GB free, but no trace of the other 50GB. Right now it is checking the drive, but at the same time, Easy Recovery is finding all the files BUT they are all named differently. Any take on that?

No clue as I have never used that program though it sounds like corruption Test Disk can fix which is why I suggested that first.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online