Solved External HD opened to repurpose the drive inside

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alwrmc

B.L.
I probably know this but:
I have a 4TB Seagate external HD in use (along with three other drives.)
Can I open that external HD case, remove the HD itself and install it inside my computer?
Years ago I did the reverse with a couple of old drives when I bought external cases to install them in.

Couriant

James
I probably know this but:
I have a 4TB Seagate external HD in use (along with three other drives.)
Can I open that external HD case, remove the HD itself and install it inside my computer?
Years ago I did the reverse with a couple of old drives when I bought external cases to install them in.
In theory you should be able to. The drives are the same with some kind of interface for the usb / firewire cable

alwrmc

B.L.
As I assumed but getting into this drive looks like it's a one time then yer screwed kind of case. :unsure:
Probably better off leaving it alone.
I think I still have a firewire cable in my junk box somewhere. Haven't heard of firewire in a long time.

Couriant

James
As I assumed but getting into this drive looks like it's a one time then yer screwed kind of case. :unsure:
Probably better off leaving it alone.
I think I still have a firewire cable in my junk box somewhere. Haven't heard of firewire in a long time.
Yeah Firewire is the old standard that I think Macs used. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online