External HD won't recognize

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

altjx

Earlier I formatted a PC with windows XP on it, the minute I plugged it up, a notification came up and said "This device can perform faster on a high speed 2.0 USB port". It says that when I plug them up into any USB port on the computer itself. The thing is, it will pretty much hang the system until I disconnect the external HD. It won't freeze 100%. It's responsive but no applications will open while it's trying to recognize the external.

It sounds to me like a USB driver problem or something because I'd assume it'd still recognize the drive even if it wasn't performing in a high speed 2.0 USB port... Any way to reinstall USB drivers? Never done that before. I have to use Hiren's Boot CD if I want to transfer files, simply because Windows XP won't recognize it and keeps popping up the notification.

hiya,go to device manager ad there you can right-click on all USB contollers and select uninstall,when all are uninstalled reboot your pc and they will automatically be reinstalled.

altjx

when the external is plugged up, stuff is real laggy so device manager wont open unless I disconnect the drive

please disconnect all usb devices(except your mouse if it is usb)then uninstall as said in previous post

altjx

When I unplug the device, the device manager returns to normal. What am I supposed to uninstall? Nothing's yellow or anything, all the trees are collasped

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online