1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

external hdd boot up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ekih, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ekih

ekih Thread Starter

I have an older computer that I can't afford to replace.
    I have come up with an idea that I want to know if it will work.
    I have a company computer that gets replaced every couple of years or so. It came with a docking station that is not being used.
    I am wondering if I can load up an external hdd with an os and all my stuff. When wanting to use my home computer I could boot up using the external hdd with the laptop in the docking station with my 22in monitor, printer etc hooked up.
    That way my home stuff stays separate from my work stuff.
    Thanks

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

If a computer supports booting to an external drive / device, you are in luck.

Do you intend to use the Dell Dim 4300? What kind of connection will the external HDD use; USB; 1394 / Firewire; eSATA?

At what level would you describe your computer skill level?

Do you know what the BIOS is and how to enter it? If yes to both, go into the BIOS & look for boot order / sequence / preferences.

If you refer to a Dell computer, please provide the service tag, so we can look up the computer's specifications. Service Tag; NOT express service code.

RF123

3. ekih

ekih Thread Starter

I think you misunderstand.
    The Dell computer is what I have now, my desktop.
    My work computer is a laptop.
    Fujitsu Lifebook E series.
    I would rate my self as intermediate level.
    What is the best hookup for a external hdd?
    Yes I know what the BIOS is and how to enter it.

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

I suggest that you go to Fujitsu's support site and find a manual.

That's why I asked "Do you intend to use the Dell Dim 4300?".

That's why I stated "If you refer to a Dell computer, please provide the service tag, so we can look up the computer's specifications. Service Tag; NOT express service code. ".

Best of success.

RF123

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758947

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice