1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External HDD data loss

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SepiasSoul, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SepiasSoul

SepiasSoul Thread Starter

I was working on my pc and turned off my external without thinking and didn't do the eject hardware. When I turned it back on the partition is missing. So the drive is not accessable. Is there any way to restore the partition. Ive scanned the drive with DiskInternals NTFS recovery so I could try to recover the files on it but alot of the files are coming back currupt. I haven't done anything to the hard drive other than have that program scan it so nothing should have been lost other than the partition file. Anyone know of a way to just reset the partition so my data will be back?

Thanks,
    Sepias

2. SepiasSoul

Ive run anouther program called testdisk 6.1 which scanned and found the old partition. It read all the files fine and the file structure was fine. When I told it to restore the partition it asked to reboot and when I rebooted the drive was still not back to normal. Ive re run the program and it still sees the same old partion (the good one) and will still read it and all its files I just cant get it to restore it. I can even tell you the cylinders and sectors for every single file on the drive via this program just cant get it to come back.... I remember reading somewere about going to management under control pannels and remarking the partition as active. I went to look at that but the mark as active is greyed out. Please help.

Sepias

3. buckfan1

buckfan1

Try coping all the files to a folder on your main drive in your computer.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can't mark the partition as active, and that's not the issue here. The active flag is just to signal the BIOS that this is a bootable drive, and only your primary partition on the first hard disk is marked active as a rule.

I suggest you remove the internal drive and connect it temporarily to the secondary IDE channel of your machine. It'll make it a lot easier to run data recovery applications on it.

Here's also where I usually put in my plug for backup. Unless you have more than one copy of your data, it's data you must not care much about.

5. SepiasSoul

Its mostly video files that I back up every few days. Ive recovered some of it with disk internals but just wanted to recover it all. Ive probly lost around 3 or 4 gigs of video so its no big deal I can get it all back, just takes time. So there is no way to restore the partition even though it can still be read by other programs via dos?

Thanks,
    Sepias

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice