1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External HDD format problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roc13x, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roc13x

roc13x Thread Starter

Hi,

I was formatting a 500gb external HDD and it was accidentally interrupted.
    The HDD now refuses to be reformatted or repaired in any way!

It still shows up in windows as "needing formatting".
    However, if I begin a format, after about 5 seconds the drive stops spinning and locks up, halting the format.
    The same happens if I attempt to use the disk checking tool, it locks up immediately.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Irukku

Irukku

How was it accidentally interrupted? Power failure?

Try using a diagnosis software of the manufacturer of your hard drive. It's probably your last hope before you dump that drive.

3. roc13x

roc13x Thread Starter

The PC lost power during the format.

I tried the option to format it into exFAT, and it was successful.
    The disk check then worked, and found no problems or bad sectors.

However, it still fails when formatting to NTFS or FAT32, which is what I need

Thanks

4. Irukku

Irukku

Awesome news! If you have formatted it successfully on another file system and it's working, the drive is healthy.

Try using another Windows version, or even the Windows setup program itself to format your drive. If it doesn't work, try a software other than Windows to format it. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions I have tested, but I'm sure there are plenty of options around for you to try. :)

5. roc13x

roc13x Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try and use the windows installer to format.

Something is still definitely up with the drive. I tried copying a 45 megabyte file into the drive, and after a few seconds of copying, it stopped spinning and locked up.
    It seems that it will immediately lock up when any data starts getting written to it

6. Irukku

Irukku

You could try removing it from the enclosure and plugging it directly to your computer as an internal HDD, just to make sure the external case isn't the problem. I believe I jumped to conclusions a bit too fast on my previous posts, excuse me. :)

7. roc13x

roc13x Thread Starter

I will try that tomorrow, its getting late here :)

Amazing how an interrupted format has seemingly ruined the drive so bad that it can't be reformatted :(

Thanks for your help/suggestions

8. roc13x

roc13x Thread Starter

I have tried a few different methods, and eventually the drive stopped shutting itself off during formats

Now I am getting a new error: "The format did not complete successfully"
    Any suggestions on how to fix this?

9. Irukku

Irukku

Mmm, yes, I guess we're back to first step: find a software provided by the HDD manufacturer to scan for errors. I have a Maxtor drive that's doing exactly the same as yours, and the only way to locate the problem in it was using the Maxtor HDD diagnosis software provided by them, which showed me a lot of bad blocks.

10. roc13x

roc13x Thread Starter

The HDD is made by Buffalo Inc.
    I downloaded a pack of tools, and one of them is called "DeviceCheck"
    Unfortunately the tool was last updated in 2008 and won't execute on my Windows 7 computer.

They did however provide a formatting tool, which seems to complete fine, yet the filesystem on the drive is still RAW

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice