1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External HDD - just grinding

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cyberpac9, Nov 30, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

I have an external HDD (seagate) that has possibly died. When I connect the power cable and USB, it makes a noise - kind of like a beeping noise, but I'm guessing it's the heads trying to read. What are my options for recovery? Can I get anything off of it? I have some backed up, just not certain I have everything.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can almost always recover data; it just depends on how much you want to pay.
    Start by pulling the drive out of the enclosure and connecting it as an internal drive. See if the drive is IDed in the bios. If the bios does see the drive, you can run one of the free data recovery programs such as recuva [free download] If the bios does not see the drive, you will not be able to run data recovery software. If the bios does not see the drive, your only real option is to send the drive to a data recovery shop. Do get an estimate since this is NOT cheap. Costs vary by area however where I live, a very basic recovery starts at $199 plus the cost of whatever media you want the data recovered to ie you cannot use the drive you are scanning. The cost goes way up from there.

3. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

I have a USB HDD docking station. If I remove the drive from the enclosure, could I use that to see if I can peer into the drive?

4. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

I should add, it's a powered external HDD, so that's why I'm not sure about connecting it via the docking station or not.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Older enclosures are just a regular hard disk inside the enclosure. Newer ones use a different connector and must use an adapter to connect as an internal drive.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you post the exact external drive, we can see if it is a regular hard disk or a proprietary type connection.
    Note you must post the exact brand, model# and serial#

7. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

Seagate model SRD00F2, SN - NA44JFNV2

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That comes up as an invalid serial#
    In any case, up to you. Either disassemble the enclosure OR send it to a data recovery shop.

9. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

fixed....one too many numbers. Seagate model SRD00F2, SN - NA4JFNV2

10. cyberpac9

cyberpac9 Thread Starter

@crjdriver I don't know where to look to see if it is a proprietary connector or not before I disassemble it. I corrected the model above, if that helps.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice