External HDD - just grinding

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cyberpac9

I have an external HDD (seagate) that has possibly died. When I connect the power cable and USB, it makes a noise - kind of like a beeping noise, but I'm guessing it's the heads trying to read. What are my options for recovery? Can I get anything off of it? I have some backed up, just not certain I have everything.

crjdriver

You can almost always recover data; it just depends on how much you want to pay.
Start by pulling the drive out of the enclosure and connecting it as an internal drive. See if the drive is IDed in the bios. If the bios does see the drive, you can run one of the free data recovery programs such as recuva [free download] If the bios does not see the drive, you will not be able to run data recovery software. If the bios does not see the drive, your only real option is to send the drive to a data recovery shop. Do get an estimate since this is NOT cheap. Costs vary by area however where I live, a very basic recovery starts at $199 plus the cost of whatever media you want the data recovered to ie you cannot use the drive you are scanning. The cost goes way up from there.

cyberpac9

I have a USB HDD docking station. If I remove the drive from the enclosure, could I use that to see if I can peer into the drive?

cyberpac9

I should add, it's a powered external HDD, so that's why I'm not sure about connecting it via the docking station or not.

crjdriver

Older enclosures are just a regular hard disk inside the enclosure. Newer ones use a different connector and must use an adapter to connect as an internal drive.

crjdriver

If you post the exact external drive, we can see if it is a regular hard disk or a proprietary type connection.
Note you must post the exact brand, model# and serial#

crjdriver

That comes up as an invalid serial#
In any case, up to you. Either disassemble the enclosure OR send it to a data recovery shop.

cyberpac9

fixed....one too many numbers. Seagate model SRD00F2, SN - NA4JFNV2

cyberpac9

@crjdriver I don't know where to look to see if it is a proprietary connector or not before I disassemble it. I corrected the model above, if that helps.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online