1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External HDD keeps disconnecting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrsBunnsy, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrsBunnsy

MrsBunnsy Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Seagate FreeAgent Desktop External HDD and I have had it for over a year now. It was working fine until yesterday when it started disconnecting and reconnecting whenever I moved the laptop. I figured that there must be something wrong with the USB port on my laptop or with the cable.
    I tried the HDD in my other laptop which is running XP (not vista like the first one) and instead of just disconnecting it reported a "power surge on hub port". I assume that this rules out the USB ports on the laptops as the problem. However, most of what I've read on power surge issues points to the actual HDD unit itself.
    Is it possible that it is just the cable that is causing all the problems or should I try to recover my information from the HDD and get a new one?

Thanks,
    MrsB

2. Sponsor

3. Megabite

Megabite

I would definitely back up the data.......and yes it could be the cable

4. MrsBunnsy

MrsBunnsy Thread Starter

Thanks,
    One more quick Q. If the HDD disconnects while I am trying to back it up do I run the risk of damaging either of the drives I am using

5. Megabite

Megabite

I would think that it would just maybe make the file you were copying void

I would try and wiggle the cable from the HD and see if you can make it do it....also you can take it out of the enclosure and put it on internally as Slave on your PC or some other desktop PC and see if the same problem occurs

6. MrsBunnsy

MrsBunnsy Thread Starter

I think I'l try that then.
    cheers

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/842339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice