1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External HDD keeps running/working?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nkienitz, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nkienitz

nkienitz Thread Starter

I recently installed an External HDD on my Dell 830 Notebook. I primarily use the HDD for datafile backups and do not leave the unit powered on save for when I'm backing up or looking for files.

What troubles me is that the HDD always seems to be working or accessing something. I've made sure my file manager has selected my C drive and that sometimes slows it down, but as I'm writing this post it is working away and the only two apps I have open are MS Outlook/Exchange and Google Chrome.

Of course I'm sure there are multiple behind the scenes items just cooking along.

Would looking at MS Config maybe provide a solution? There are likely things running in the background that I can do without, but I'm not that much of the expert to make that determination.

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Cheers,

Nolan K.
    D/FW

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You'll find out more from the Processes tab of Task Manager. Maximise the page and take a screenshot when the disk is running and post it back here. Some background processes don't show as an Application but will as a Process. Are you sure your Backup utility isn't scheduled to run daily? That could explain an external drive running.

3. nkienitz

nkienitz Thread Starter

Tnx for the input. I was able to resolve the issues by taking the time to review almost all the processes running and tracking them back to on/off toggles in various applications and making adjustments there or simply by deleting left-over traces of prior programs.

The external HDDs on both my main and backup notebooks have been quiet save for when I've called from some data from them.

I typically don't leave them on unless I'm doing backups or looking for archive files, but since my effort yesterday I've been watching them and leaving on for the observation.

Merry Christmas.

Cheers,

Nolan K.
    D/FW

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970315

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice