1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External HDD not being recognized anymore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xasf, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xasf

Xasf Thread Starter

Greetings,

About a week ago, I bought a Maxtor Basics 1 TB external HDD (7200 RPM, 32MB Cache, USB 2.0). I have been using it on my Windows Vista Business Edition (SP1) desktop computer without problems since.

However, after turning off my computer and unplugging the power cord of the HDD (as usual) yesterday, I can't get it to work again today.
    The drive seems to be powering up alright (the light on the box comes on, there is a whine as the disc spins up and then I can feel a slight vibration of continued operation when I lay my hand on the box, all of which are normal signs) but Vista does not make that sound of plugging in a new USB device. Needless to say, the drive does not appear in My Computer, but I have also checked Disk Management and Device Manager in Microsoft Management Console to no avail. It is not listed anywhere, not even as "Unrecognized USB device" or such. Nada.

After experimenting with using different USB cables and power adapters and plugs, I guessed that may be my PC was at fault, so I have tried a Windows Vista Home Premium laptop, but again with no success. My hopes of laying the blame on Vista were crushed as another laptop with Windows XP Professional SP2 also does not recognize the drive.

Any hints or suggestions you may provide would be most welcome.

2. help me please

help me please

sounds like the usb adapter on the drive has gone.

also, does that drive have an e-sata connector? if so there may be a switch that needs moving.

3. Xasf

Xasf Thread Starter

That was also my assessment, and no unfortunately it's USB only.
    Why the device controller on the drive broke down practically by itself is anybodies guess.. :confused:

Well, I'll take it down to the store for a replacement in a couple of days, until then I'm still open to suggestions :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice