1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External HDD Not Recognized after Windows Recovery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by audiocryst, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. audiocryst

audiocryst Thread Starter

Something got corrupted on my computer to where windows 7 would not boot anymore. I had to run the Windows 7 Recovery disk which fixed the problem and got the computer to boot. However, now when I look at my available drives, my E drive, which used to be my external drive, is now the 100MB system reserved portion on my internal drive. I had my external drive shared and now this new E drive is the shared drive. How can I put that drive back to the hidden system reserved drive and get my external drive to show up?

I have unplugged and plugged the external to see if the system would recognize it. I have uninstalled the mass storage device driver and had it reinstall. The device manager sees the drive, but I don't see it available in the "Computer" view.

thoughts?

2. UserBarZero

UserBarZero

I don't understand the 'shared' business, but have you tried using the external HDD on a different comp (maybe in a different way) to see if it still works right?

Maybe you have to re-reinstall xO and then 'share' it after so windows 7 gets it right. If it works like that lol

3. audiocryst

audiocryst Thread Starter

HDD works fine on a different machine.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

How does the drive appear in Disk Management? (You can change drive letters there, too, if you want to use E: for something else.)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice