1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External HDD not recognized,hampers reboot, disk mgmt blank

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cronecker, Apr 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cronecker

Cronecker Thread Starter

My Silicon Power A80 worked fine on my Surface pro...until it didn't one moment to the next.
    First issue observed: couldn't safely remove, the icon appeared but it didn't show the action. The action would pop up as soon as I plugged out the HDD.
    Second issue: when trying to uninstall the driver, it needs to reboot. Can't seem to reboot with the HDD plugged in. When plugged out, it starts to reboot but not carry on with the uninstallation.
    Third issue: When checking the disk management, it just shows up blank... So can't reassign a letter, partition it or whatever. Disk management works fine as soon as I unplug the HDD
    Fourth issue: The HDD doesn't seem to be recognized at all. Can't access files this way. Strangely, it does show up in device management, saying it's working properly...
    For some reason, there's two "D" drives popping up but explorer outright freezes when I try to open any. (see screenshot)

Not sure how to fix this one!!! I tried installing new drivers, windows updates, etc but so far no idea what causes this issue.
    Please help, I'm travelling for a long period and I backed up all my photos and videos on this external drive.

Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Test the drive in another computer/device. That will confirm if it's a drive issue. If it's not recognized in multiple devices, there is a drive issue.

As noted above, the most common failure in external drives is the electronics in the enclosure. So the drive and data may still be OK.

4. Cronecker

Cronecker Thread Starter

Ok so the hard drive causes the same issues on another laptop.

This is so strange, the drive is supposed to be shock resistant. Maybe the USB cable caused some damage on the drive's USB entry? I tried another cable and same issues too.

On a world trip right now so don't have all the necessary tools at hand to open up my drive...

5. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

:confused: All it takes is a little phillips screwdriver, (see above video).

6. Cronecker

Cronecker Thread Starter

But what about connecting it to SATA? I have a surface pro and I'm kind of scared opening up stuff when I'm in the middle of nowhere, cycling in Asia.

7. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

8. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Pack it away until you get home. Meanwhile, I guess it's time to find a new drive.

9. Cronecker

Cronecker Thread Starter

Damn, that's bad news. Even when you put some extra money on the table for something shock resistant, the thing starts breaking down after 7 months....

Sure I can't just replace the USB output, which might be faulty? This is the only thing that could've possibly be exposed to dust (via the USB cable).

10. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Assuming that is actually the problem, it would be a part made specifically for that brand/model of drive. And it's usually not the USB port, but the actual USB adapter inside the case (the part which converts USB protocol into SATA protocol).

11. Cronecker

Cronecker Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

I will try with Recuva but I don't think it will work as the drive makes the laptop freeze up.
    Silicon power suggested the following:

"if you might have data concern, is it possible for you to send it back to Taiwan ?
    It is still in warranty. If possible, you could send us the drive and we will try to make sure if it is possible to keep your data."

12. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    They will likely charge you for the recovery.

The standard warranty only covers the hardware, not the data on the drive. But if you can get confirmation that they will retrieve/save your data for no cost, it would be worth a shot. And as the drive is under warranty, opening the enclosure as was noted above, will VOID the warranty.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226331

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice