1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External HDD Partition problems. Help please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pegs001, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pegs001

Pegs001 Thread Starter

It's a 3tb WD My Book Essential
    Right now it has one NTFS partition that's 2tb but on the other side are 2 separated unallocated spaces, they are also side by side but separated
    One is 94.87 GB and the other is 746.49 GB
    I can right click the smaller one and make into a volume but I can't extend that and when I right click the the bigger one it doesn't let me do anything except see properties and help.
    I really don't want to lose this space so can anyone help.

2. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
  3. Pegs001

Pegs001 Thread Starter

I am viewing it from the Vista Disk Manager

4. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    You can do more hard drive partition changes with a partition tool that can be booted to, and some you can buy such as Acronis disk director, or there are Linux based free applications which can be downloaded, such as the GParted found here; http://gparted.sourceforge.net/index.php That external drive should show in that tool even when connected by USB.

5. stretch1967

stretch1967

in disk management can you right click on the 2 tb partition and use the extend volume option

6. Pegs001

Pegs001 Thread Starter

I tried to use gparted but all 3 methods for putting it on the usb couldn't work
    and my problem is that I can't do anything, at all, with this 746.49 gb of unallocated space
    I can't extend any of my partitions to use it, but if I do use extend partition I can only extend it by the 94.87 gb not the 746.49 gb

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    using Disk Manager in Windows try deleting the 94 GB partition and the 746 GB partition then extend you primary partition to what you want. then partition the rest of the unallocated space if any.

8. Pegs001

Pegs001 Thread Starter

The 746 isn't a partition
    it's unallocated space
    and I have tried deleting the 94 gb
    I could only extend the 2 tb over the 94 gb not the 746

9. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    What computer do you have this external drive connected to, is it a Netbook ?, so is that why you need to put GParted onto a USB flash drive rather than burn the iso file to a CD? Or try an external USB optical CD/DVD drive if needed. Most of the brand name external drives such as your Western Digital originally come with one large FAT 32 formatted partition. Did you attempt to install or copy the GParted tool onto that external hard drive? If so, then that is not correct, you just download the iso file and then burn an image of that iso file to a CD, then re-boot to that disk to then run GParted. Also there is a CD called System Rescue CD which is Linux based but can be used for Windows ntfs or fat32 partitions; http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

10. Pegs001

Pegs001 Thread Starter

its connected to an HP Pavilion laptop, it is running windows vista home premium x64
    and i don't have any cds or dvds with me, that are blank at least
    i tried to put the gparted program, following the tutorial on how to put gparted live on a usb, on my 1gb flash drive which is formatted to FAT32

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice