1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

external HDD Plextor setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vraagsteller, Mar 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vraagsteller

vraagsteller Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have four computers all running Win XP Professional with the latest updates and connected to a D-Link D714P+ router/print-server.
    I'm trying to add an external hard disk, Plextor PX-EH, to a free LAN port on the router. Seems to work fine, and I can access the PX-EH from the computers by typing PX-EH into my web-browser.
    However, I'm supposed to properly use the PX-EH by making it show up as a computer under My Network Places
    Here's what the manual says:
    "1 Click Start, and right-click My Network Places, and then click Search for Computers.
    2 Enter PX‑EH under Computer name:, and then click the Search button.
    3 Double-click PX‑EH series (PX‑EH), which will be displayed as a result of search.
    [THIS IS WHAT DOES NOT HAPPEN: I get "not found"]
    4 Double-click the disk folder.
    The usable PX‑EH folder will open. When a file is copied to this window, it will be saved in the PX‑EH.
    Once the icon is displayed correctly, you can use the PX‑EH as a network folder."

Any suggestions, please?
    Gert

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i wonder if you need \\ in the front of the name

3. vraagsteller

Alas, this does not do the trick.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Etaf!

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if you try mapping a network drive and browse - can you see it that way maybe

5. vraagsteller

No joy there either, I'm afraid. I've tried to type \\px-eh in the network drive browser
    Tried \\workgroup\px-eh (the external hdd says it's located under workgroup)
    Tried to click on workgroup via "browse"

Should I try setting up a home network? This was not necessary to make the broadband router/print-server function with the four pc's.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have no further suggestions really - just guessing now - might be worth trying - hopefully someone with detailed knowledge of this product will answer

7. vraagsteller

Hi,
    Thanks again for the support! Setting up the homenetwork did resolve the issue.
    Gert

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/450847

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice