1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External HDD recognized as removable disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maddisu, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddisu

maddisu Thread Starter

Hello,

Recently, for reasons I'm not sure of my external Hard Disk failed. When I plugged it in, it gave me "The disk is not formatted, Would you like to format it now?" error. It was recognized by XP and as a hard disk but with the label "Local Disk (F)" which was not its original name. Since I had important data on it, I resorted to a software called "Partition Table Doctor 3.5" to solve the issue. It told me that the partition table and some other things I can't really remember are all OK and if my drive still cannot be accessed by the OS, I had to use a file recovery software.

After that, I used EASEUS file recovery and used the complete file recovery option. It took several hours and when it completed, all the data was 'RAW' and there was no way I could use it. The next time I plugged my HDD in, Partition Table Doctor alerted me that the HDD had to be fixed. I did what it suggested and then it turned my HDD into a Removable Disk!!!

At this point, I gave up my hopes of recovering the data and tried to format the drive. Windows said it couldn't format the drive.

What can I do now?

Thank you

Addisu

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971751

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice