1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External HDD recognized in device mgmt not disk nor BIOS ...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wanderergirl, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wanderergirl

Wanderergirl Thread Starter

Hello all,

After reading a lot of stuff and attempting fixes on my own (on three computers), I'm looking for help.

My external HDD Spire circa 2006 will not show up in Explorer; here's what I've done so far:

opened disk mgmt to partition it...not showing up in disk management
    opened device mgmt ....shows up
    disabled and re-enabled...no luck
    uninstalled and reinstalled....no luck
    updated driver .... "latest driver updated"

changed ports
    changed computers (older version of windows)
    restarted computers

on the third computer it shows as "working properly", but still does not show up in explorer. So...

opened CMD prompt
    disk utility
    list volume .... not showing up in list volume (as far as I can tell)

Does anyone have ideas? I'm not sure how I can fix any potential partition problems if it doesn't show up in disk management. I'm not sure if it's "working properly" why it won't show up in explorer.

I appreciate your help.

Elizabeth

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Part of it has likely failed, hard drives fail all the time and externals fail even more often.

First try another USB cable. If that doesn't work take the unit apart and remove the actual hard drive. You can install the drive into another enclosure to see if it's the enclosure has failed. You could also install it internally in a desktop PC and see if it works instead of another enclosure. Being that old it might be either a newer SATA interface or it could be the older PATA interface with pins; if PATA you'll need an older computer to connect it to as new computers don't have PATA connectors anymore. I wouldn't buy another enclosure for it if there is not important data on it that you must recover, being that old it's simply not worth it to just get the drive working.

3. Wanderergirl

Wanderergirl Thread Starter

Thanks Rob! I cannot remember what is in there. However, I am beginning to think it may not be worth entrusting with new stuff.

It does not look.like Sata or Pata to m not from what I have seen online. Here is a photo.

Attached Files:

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You sure that back piece with the connectors doesn't come off? On most drives it comes off to reveal the drive's original connectors. Otherwise that's a proprietary connector that some manufacturers used that went straight to USB.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1163230

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice