1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External HDD saying corrupted and unreadable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fastrack12003, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fastrack12003

fastrack12003 Thread Starter

I have a external 1TB my book hdd that now says the directory is corrupted and unreadable and I don't know what happened to it. when I go to my computer and try to right click on it to run chkdsk on it nothing pops up i cant get to the properties it just freezes my computer. I was able to get to the properties for it by right clicking on it in disk management and when i ran the dskchk it only lasted a second and goes away not doing anything. I also noticed that the file system is now RAW it used to be NTFS. The hdd was almost full it had about 20GB free space so i need a way to get it working without losing all the stuff on it. I have tried opening command prompt and entering chkdsk g: /f /r it took several hours to complete and it didn't fix anything. I have ran testdisk and when i analyzed it it says it is NTFS an that everything is ok I am doing the "scan deeper" now. also when I ran chkdsk it also showed that the drive is NTFS. the deeper scan also say structure ok. the next step in test disk is write partition structure to disk should i do this or will it erase my stuff?

2. TekTime

TekTime

It seems that the only way to get your drive operable, based on what you have explained; is to reformat the drive. Of course you will lose your data that you would like to keep.

There is one possible option but it isn't guaranteed to work.

Is there room on your main drive to store the music during a recovery? If so, you might be able to try using one of the linux versions that runs right off the cd (knoppix is a good one). Basically, you'll boot the computer off that cd straight into linux. Then, you have a fighting shot of being able to see the attached drive. Not a guarantee, but a shot...

(this site gives a good walkthrough... http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/)

Download the ISO burn it to a CD, and reboot. If it automatically sees both of your harddrives, you're in the clear. Copy the data over to your main drive. A possible problem is, most linux distros can't mount a NTFS hard drive, which is the Windows file system..

3. catlady13

catlady13

I have used Ubuntu to mount an NTFS hard drive. I only format in NTFS because I do a lot of video stuff and have many files over 4 gigs in size. You do NOT install Ubuntu but just run it from the cd. I managed to copy files both to a usb stick and an external dvd rom drive and burn them. I didn't try copying to my other hard drive but I am sure that can be done as well.
    I took the external drive and mounted it inside my computer to do this. It may recognize it from the external USB case but if not and you have access to a desktop computer this might be the way to go to salvage all your information.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916957

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice