External HDD through firewire and safely removing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BoyDetective

Sometimes I can "safely remove" the hardware, sometimes it won't let me, and it says to try again later.

Should I optimize for performance, or optimize for quick removal?

I started my PC today and it says the data may have been lost. None was, but it scared the crap out of me.

The default is for quick removal, which disable write caching. Is it really safe just to turn this thing off without "safely removing"?

Just make sure all open explorer windows are closed when clicking the
"safely remove" button.
Should work fine if you follow this rule.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you optimize for "save removal", you can leave it for a short period after the activity ceases and just disconnect it. Give it 10-15 seconds after the activity light stops flashing.

kidcnote

Banned
dobbelina said:
Just make sure all open explorer windows are closed when clicking the
"safely remove" button.
Should work fine if you follow this rule.
The same thing happens sometimes with my Sandisk 512MB Cruzer or my DiskGo Edge. I get that prompt when I have something on.. I click and close the window and "Safely remove" then works like it should..:cool:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I have a drive claim it's in use after all applications are closed at times. I just turn if off after it sits for a short time. :)

BoyDetective

JohnWill said:
I have a drive claim it's in use after all applications are closed at times. I just turn if off after it sits for a short time. :)
I think it'll be OK if I do it with that method.

Basically it's set to auto play. The file explorer is supposed to pop up when the drive is connected/turned on. It doesn't, but it gives me a list of actions to take. Better than nothing, so I'll take it!

This drive is awesome! 233gb, for 70 bucks. Much nicer than what's sitting inside my computer right now. I was a little worried because it was OEM, but you guys have been a big help! Aside from this last little quirk, everything it running great now!

BoyDetective

JohnWill said:
Good luck with your new purchase. :)
Thanks! I'm still trying to solve this audio problem. It's nice knowing I have all my files backed up in case I have to go so far as to reformat. Hopefully not!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online