1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External hdd undetected after plug in

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kelish, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kelish

kelish Thread Starter

Hi,

I've just bought a SATA external harddisk. The harddisk was not detected once i plugged into my computer or show an icon in my Computer. But I've try with other computer, it works.

Is my computer missing something to perform the detection?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, how does the external connect to your system? Is it usb, firewire, or esata?

Next what os do you have installed?

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

And lastly is it partitioned and formatted?

4. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

Plug unit into computer > Right-Click on My Computer > Click Manage > Click "Disk Management" (May take a minute to load)

Do you see the drive listed here? If so what is the status? Before you continue and tinker here - let us know...

5. kelish

kelish Thread Starter

Under "Disk Management" The external hdd is not detected. When i bought brand new i'm not sure the guy got partition it..
    But I've checked it with other computer under "disk management" and under it's Layout. It says there partition.

6. kelish

kelish Thread Starter

ANybody help?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are asking for help however you have not answered the posted questions; how is the drive connected to the system? Is it usb, firewire or esata?

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Crj I would assume it's esata because he says it's an external sata drive but the real question is how is it connected? Do you have an esata port or card and is it turned on in bios if it's on the board and have you tried the pci card if used in another system to be sure it works. You also need to have the right cable for the esata card you know.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, that is what I am trying to find out. I have a sata drive in an external and it [the external case] has options to connect to the system via usb or esata.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699855

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice