1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External Hdd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aidee12, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aidee12

aidee12 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a 500GB Ext HDD. If I make a 'clone' of my Computer HDD, then completely Re-install my System, can I then re-install all my files, programs. applications, emails and Contacts , IE and favorites, from the External HDD?
    AD,

2. 4778

DO NOT, DO NOT 'clone ' your C (Root) Drive.Trust me on this, It doesn't end well.
    Copy Your files, Then memorize your settings, Then proceed from there is My advice
    Good Luck

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    As previously said ... NO

You cannot reinstall programs by coping them from a system drive ... They must be reinstalled.
    Some settings, etc, can be recovered from a system drive .... (even if it's no longer bootable)
    But It’s easier to backup your data files, emails, contacts etc, to the XHD and recover them after you reinstall.

After you get your system freshly installed and configured the way you like it ... "Image" it to a data file in your XHD ..
    I use Acronis, but Here’s some free Imaging suggestions ... (Macrium is very popular)

4. aidee12

aidee12 Thread Starter

Hi,
    Thanks for your answers, but I'm afraid they do not help as I am not savvy enough.
    I want to completely re-install my System (Windows Vista existing on the Computer,
    or Win 7 complete install).
    Exactly, step by step, how do I do this. This is the help I need.
    AD

5. AstroNut

AstroNut

Why is this? I cloned a laptop drive one time, I needed a bigger drive and the old one was failing, the new drive came with an external case and cloning software, I hooked the new drive up via. USB and ran the cloning software and it copied the old drive to the new one then I switched the drives out and all was well.

6. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    The HDD in the external must be the same size and type ... to physically work in another computer
    Cloning to a drive wipes out all the existing data in it ...
    Cloning makes an exact copy .. Problems and all ....

He wanted a fresh install .. and to be able to move his installed programs from the "old" Clone to the freshly installed HDD ..
    Cloning would not have accomplished his desired task.

7. aidee12

aidee12 Thread Starter

Thanks noyb, You have told me that I was wrong to do as I said, and I thank you and the others who have prevented me from making a B-I-I-G mistake, but it does not help with what I want to do, see my last post.
    AD

8. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    Cloning can be you best friend.
    I have an external that has a Clone of my last fresh install.
    If anything happens .. All I have to do is physically swap my HDDs .. And I have a brand new computer.
    It helps to have your operating system and all your data in two different partitions.
    Earlier this week, I had a HDD develop a bad sector.
    All I had to do was clone a new one from my backup

Attached Files:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice