1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by raybro, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Hello Everyone... I'm considering adding an external hard drive to my system to use as a redundant storage point for my backups using either Acronis TI and/or BootIt NG. My question is what would be the best interface to use for my system. I have an older Dell XPS-R400, P2 400MHz with the original mobo. Maxed out on SDRAM PC-100 384MB. My single serial port is in use with my UPS. I have USB 1.0, so I would probably need to buy a PCI card to upgrade to 2.0. (if that is the recommended interface). Things I don't know about this would fill a book, so treat me gently, it's my first time. If anyone has some reference sites for me to look at, that would be good. I already have 2 internal IDE HDD's (120MB Master & 80MB Slave). Basically I need to get familiar with the various interface terms and the ones my system is compatible with.

EDIT.. Forgot to mention I also have an external 1GB JAZ drive connected via an Adaptec SCSI PCI card.

Raybro

2. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon raybro, if you have a spare IDE connector you might consider an IDE removeable internal caddy drive and tray.
    This simply plugs when needed to a dead system and when booted is available as a standard hard drive with the same properties.

It is amazing to see your P2 is performing there, I would expect it would be like a snail in reverse if you have all the malware protection and stuff loaded.

These drive caddies can be useful for extra system booting or all kinds of ideas dependent on the boot order set, or remain as simple storage.

Actually the P2 would go like a rocket with this linux on it, and you could have an intro to the future of computing! LOL!

Cheers, qldit.

3. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Thanks for the response qldit... I'll check out the caddy idea.

Yep, I have all the malware protection I need (Spybot, Adaware and SpyWareBlaster in addition to AVG antivirus and Zone Alarm firewall) and my old Dell just keeps perkin along. I admit to having the system tweaked to perform and I keep it tuned up pretty good. Although it isn't comparable to newer systems it does, however, satisfy most of my needs quite well.

Interesting you should mention Linux... I've been giving some thought recently to dual booting my Win98SE with Linux. Thoughts and/or opinions?

Raybro

4. qldit

qldit

Good Evening raybro, just for the hell of it, visit this Puppy Linux site...
    http://www.puppyos.com/
    Use the download button at the top of screen and find a suitable site to download the file...
    puppy-2.02-seamonkey.iso
    This file is an ISO file 70 odd megs and needs to be burned to a CD using an ISO burning program, don't unzip it.
    A suitable ISO burning file is here..
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html
    Scroll down to the BurnCDCC file and D/L and unpack it to a folder on your desktop.
    When you open it, direct it to your Linux ISO file, set the burn speed slowest with a new CD, close the CD and it should give you a bootable Linux distro in about 5 minutes.

This is a Live CD, it can be booted on, and it will load to your RAM and use it as a RAMdrive, and use it like a harddrive.
    During this load you will be asked the type of keyboard you are using, scroll down (US QWERTY) and use the default video answer.
    Set the screen size to 800 X 600 if asked in the box and tehn hit exit when load is complete.
    This is your intro to this system, no antivirus or malware protection is required and the thing works pretty well.
    Quite unique, all the programs are loaded in memory and the CD can be removed.
    This is not using your hard drive in this configuration, be careful not to save anything until you learn more.

When you shut it down use the no-save path.
    Be prepared for a surprise! Only use one mouse click (left or right)

Tutorials are available here.
    http://www.puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1

I would be most interested in your comments. LOL!
    There is a bit of a learning curve, but it is not difficult.

Dual booting is no problem, I will make a few suggestions to you about it, (if you like) but with a drive caddy it makes it quite simple if the linux is installed on a drive in the caddy.
    One gig of drive space is OK but a bit more is better for a load on a hard drive.
    If the boot priority is caddy first and normal IDE second it simply makes the Linux boot if the caddy is in and W98 boot if the caddy is out. So no problems happen and no boot manager dual action is required.
    A very reliable system idea.
    But there are a lot of other options also.
    But when you begin to use Linux you won't want to use the W-98 very often, This Linux is like a breath of fresh air!
    LOL!!

Cheers, qldit

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Personally, I'd lean to the USB 2.0 card and an external drive. I like the fact that my backups are totally off-line most of the time, makes them more secure. :)

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Thanks for the sanity JW as I fear more of the spread of this old cumbersone passe "caddy" technology springing up out of nowhere on this forum will soon outstrip the manufacture of same from "down under"...though if I were adding a card, it would be 1394 and a 1394 drive as so much more reliable (which we already know you don't agree with the bus.) Me thinks kiwi will be here soon to back up his buddy gldit.

7. JohnWill

Well, I have to admit, I use the drive drawers myself, but they're mostly for convenience. My backup scenario on the two main systems is to do an unattended backup every day to the second physical drive, as well as to the NAS unit. Then usuallly 4-5 times a week, I fire up the stack of USB drives and backup everything to them.

8. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Can someone clarify the difference between 1394A and 1394B. From what I've gleaned so far, the primary diff is 1394A is 400MB/s transfer rate and the 1394B is 800MB/s transfer rate. Is that the extent of the difference. Also, what is the purpose/significance of the 4-pin and 6-pin connectors? Is that related to the A/B suffix? My Belkin Firewire PCI card has 3, 6-pin ports.

Raybro

9. qldit

qldit

Good Morning All, I do feel that with different perspectives different considerations apply.
    From my experience it is easier to lose a USB than it is an IDE.
    Speed consideratons also apply.

JW has mentioned that his backups are "totally off-line most of the time".
    This same condition applies to a caddy system.
    It would be rather silly to leave the caddy with the machine, it kind of defeats the reason for having it in the first place.

I don't believe the Kiwi would bother becoming involved in such a silly argument.

Having different options is a valuable resource, I suggest the caddy system is superior and has greater flexibility and reliability in every way.
    The only negative aspects I can think of is having to turn the system off and reboot to fit the item or remove it. (and that is not really a negative issue)
    The USB drive could be read in any other machine more simply but that may not neccessarily be an advantage.

I would also suggest there are more commonly USB loss problems on this site rather than IDE loss problems.
    I do feel this would equate to greater reliability with an IDE caddy over anything USB.

Cheers, qldit.

10. JohnWill

The difference here is that you have to turn the machine off to insert or remove the carry, somewhat of a PITA. What really results is that you tend to just leave it in after a while, and the benefits of off-line storage are lost.

Also, you can't just pick up the caddy and carry it to another location and expect to find a compable computer to access the disk. While you don't see this as an advantage, I use this capability all the time. Just look at the popularity of FLASH USB drives as an example.

11. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

Here's my two cents on the issue. I've used both HD Caddy's and USB External Drives.

HD Caddy's must physially installed in every computer you wish to use the information from on a regular basis, which is a negative. However, it is a cheaper and occasionally faster (if you don't have USB 2.0) option.

However, the nice thing about the External USB drives is that they can be used in (just about) any computer with no work. Plus, if you ever have a need to put information on a laptop, HD Caddy's don't work, and the USB drive works just peachy!

12. JohnWill

Both have their places, and as I mentioned, all of the machines at my office here have at least one drive drawer. However, I don't regularly take them out, since that involves turning things off and back on. Drive drawers are also handy for testing and configuring drives, I have a couple of empties, one with a 2.5" <-> 3.5" adapter for that purpose.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice