Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

External, internal hard drive wont work on Vista

3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  redox 
#1 ·
i have a seagate 7200.8 250 Gbyte internal harddrive pluged into a RocketFish USB 2.0 Hard Drive enclosure. I'm Running Windows Vista Home Premium on my toshiba notebook and when ihook up the enclosure into my laptop it makes the noise that it finds the enclosure but nothing comes up in My Computer to get into the te hard drive. the hard drive was bought new and first put into a desktop with Windows XP, but itook the hard drive to BestBuy and when they pluged it into there computer there running Vista it worked fine. it wont work on mine can anybody tell me what might be the problem???

#3 ·
Also look in Disk Management. Is the drive there? If it is, remove the partitions, create new one(s), format, and assign a drive letter that you want.

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

#5 ·
the drives in disc management are
(D:)-local drive
(E:)-Primary Partition------which is my disc drive
(F:)-Primary Partition------which i can access in th computer directory, it is 512Mb. it didn't appear until i hooked up the external drive im having problems with, but it is always there now even when i unhook the external drive. im not really sure what it is.
(C:)-System-----------which is my local drive
the 250Gb drive is not showing up in Disc Management....
Any othe thoughts?

#7 ·
What is D:?

Can you post a picture of Disk Management? I don't really understand what you posted. Vista should be in a primary partition, but you seem to have it off by itself.

#14 ·
What powers the external hard drive -- the usb port or a external power supply? Half the time when I connect my external hard drive to the PC, it makes a knocking sound and the computer doesn't find it. When I connect the double usb wire, the computer finds it instantly. Some usb ports don't offer enough amps to power external hard drives.
Just a thought….

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.