1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

External, internal hard drive wont work on Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by sickasschevelle, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sickasschevelle

sickasschevelle Thread Starter

i have a seagate 7200.8 250 Gbyte internal harddrive pluged into a RocketFish USB 2.0 Hard Drive enclosure. I'm Running Windows Vista Home Premium on my toshiba notebook and when ihook up the enclosure into my laptop it makes the noise that it finds the enclosure but nothing comes up in My Computer to get into the te hard drive. the hard drive was bought new and first put into a desktop with Windows XP, but itook the hard drive to BestBuy and when they pluged it into there computer there running Vista it worked fine. it wont work on mine can anybody tell me what might be the problem???

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Do other devices plugged into usb port get recognized? Check bios settings to make sure usb ports are enabled. If you go Run,"devmgmt.msc", usb controllers are near the bottom. Any yellow question marks there?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Also look in Disk Management. Is the drive there? If it is, remove the partitions, create new one(s), format, and assign a drive letter that you want.

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

4. sickasschevelle

yep, everything does, and my computer even shows the "safely remove" icon in the task tray when i plug in the hard drive.

5. sickasschevelle

the drives in disc management are
    (D:)-local drive
    (E:)-Primary Partition------which is my disc drive
    (F:)-Primary Partition------which i can access in th computer directory, it is 512Mb. it didn't appear until i hooked up the external drive im having problems with, but it is always there now even when i unhook the external drive. im not really sure what it is.
    (C:)-System-----------which is my local drive
    the 250Gb drive is not showing up in Disc Management....
    Any othe thoughts?

6. sickasschevelle

there aren't any yellow question marks

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

What is D:?

Can you post a picture of Disk Management? I don't really understand what you posted. Vista should be in a primary partition, but you seem to have it off by itself.

8. sickasschevelle

here it is

Attached Files:

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

How about in Device Manager (Run, devmgmt.msc)...under Usb, any yellow "?"

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

It might help to remove all your USB devices in Device Manager and reboot to reinstall them.

11. sickasschevelle

ill do that but i tried to get thehard drive to work on my roommates computer and its behaving the same

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

Then the converter box is no good. If there is anything on the drive of value, you can probably plug it into another pc internally and get the files of it.

13. sickasschevelle

ill take this one back and get a new one. thanks for your help, ill let you kno if the new one is the solution or not

14. redox

redox

What powers the external hard drive -- the usb port or a external power supply? Half the time when I connect my external hard drive to the PC, it makes a knocking sound and the computer doesn't find it. When I connect the double usb wire, the computer finds it instantly. Some usb ports don't offer enough amps to power external hard drives.
    Just a thoughtÂ….

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/683278

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice